Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 19th, 2009 18:00

Bad driver or bad board?

I have a XPS 600 with a 3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium D, 3 GB Ram, running Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) (build 7100).

Immediately after installing Windows 7, I was unable to get any audio working.   I had a Sound Blaster X-Fi (model SB0460), and I tried various drivers from Creative's website all to no avail.  Since my card is pretty old, I decided to upgrade to the SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (model SB073A) and use it's respective driver which is supposed to be Win7 compatible.  I had partial success - I get a staticy audio which cuts out entirely after a few mintues untill I reboot my rig and then it repeats.

I tired swapping out the speakers to rule out a hardware fault, still no go.

I am perplexed as to what to do next -  Could I have a bad motherboard (Board: Dell Inc. 0GC375)  or am I still just fighting a bad driver?

Driver date: 4/9/2009  Driver Version: 6.0.1.1373

Appreciate any help!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 19th, 2009 18:00

Have you gotten all the updates from Windows Updates? I got the win 7 X-Fi drivers there and they work fine. Different model card, but maybe the compatible driver is not good. Let Windows Update install a driver.

4 Posts

September 20th, 2009 11:00

Thanks Mary G!   I'm up to date on Windows Updates so that good idea is ruled out.

I hope someone (hello Dell??)  can give me another idea....

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 20th, 2009 11:00

Did you install the Nvidia Chipset Driver?  If not that could be the problem.  The chipset drivers need to be installed BEFORE installing sound and many other device drivers.  However, Dell only lists the chipset driver version for XP and not Vista.  I don't know if the XP driver will work on Vista and that may be an issue.

(This is a users helping users forum, not a line to Dell.  There are a limited number of Dell Forum Moderators but that's all, it's not a direct line to Dell Support)

4 Posts

September 25th, 2009 16:00

Thanks Fireberd!   I did have the chipset drivers installed before the sound card.

I'm quite flummoxed!!

No Events found!