Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2008 10:00

Bios wont load, computer wont boot up

I have a Dell Dimension E510.  Suddenly the computer won't boot up.  The computer stops loading on the bios screen.  The status bar graph only loads the first section then stops.  Computer originally came with windows XP and bios version A05.  About a year ago, I upgraded operating system to vista home premium and in order to do so, inceased the RAM to 3 GB and upgraded the bios to version A06.  Shortly after doing so, the bios would occassionally not load.  Powering down and up again would generally result in a successful boot.  Not so anymore.  I tried the guidelines in the self help tech support section but it didn't point to a particular problem.  I note the power light is a steady green and that the status LEDs 1,2,3 are lit but not 4.  Video system seems to work since I can read the screen.  I can hear the fan so it doesn't appear to be a power supply issue.  All boads and memory chips are secure.  No recent software changes.  Only hardware change was a new mouse. 

Does anybody have any suggestions?

3.4K Posts

December 7th, 2008 10:00

Hello,

You can read what those three lights mean here. 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

But it suggests that either a cable has come loose from the hard drive, or some BIOS setting has changed. Can you get into the system BIOS settings? If so, is the hard drive seen correctly?

Does the load go far enough to allow you to boot into safe mode? Keep tapping the F8 key as soon as the system starts to load.

And since you mention that you installed Vista, I will add the correct order for installing below.

Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.

Install your version of Windows.

Install the following software and drivers in the order listed below.

***** 1.***** Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling the operating system or updating all the computer’s drivers, it is imperative that this software be installed first.
This is located under the System and Configuration Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page. The DSS or NSS may not be required for some systems that shipped with Windows Vista installed. If your download page has a DSS or NSS file, "It is required".
2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Adapter Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
5. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
6. Modem - Allows dialup capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
7. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
8. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Mouse & Keyboards Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
9. Other Devices
* Bluetooth Module
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* PCMCIA/Smartcard controller
This is located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Dell drivers and downloads page http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/. Input your service tag number to get the required drivers for your system, 'as shipped'.

NOTE: If your system download page offers a DSS or NSS file in the 'System and Configuration Utilities' Category. And you have already tried to install some drivers, you will need to reboot in Safe Mode to install the DSS or NSS file, and the chipset. Then reboot the system and install the rest of the drivers in the correct order.

4 Posts

December 7th, 2008 20:00

Thank you for your response.  I checked the cables again, everything seems in order.  I cannot get into safe mode or bios editing as none of the system seems to have loaded.  The computer stops loading on the Bios status bar screen just as it first appears.  I made no changes to the system Bios at all.  When I loaded Vista, it was about a year ago and system boots normally the majority of the time up until 2 days ago when it stopped as noted above.

3.4K Posts

December 7th, 2008 20:00

Hello again,

If there is not a connection problem ...

Even with the hard drive disconnected, the system should still get to the BIOS screen. Unplug the system and remove the motherboard battery for 10mins and then replace it. See if the system starts at least to be able to get to the BIOS setup. If not, I suggest a motherboard problem, or CPU problem.

Sorry

4 Posts

December 7th, 2008 23:00

Thanks again for your help.  I took the motherboard battery out for 10 minutes and reinserted.  This made no change.  However, I did take a RAM chip out of the slot 3 and attempted reboot.  This did force the bios load and asked to go into setup to fix the incompatabilites.  It also gave me an error message of "floppy diskette seek failure."  I don't have a floppy diskette in the system - never came with one.  I tried restoring BIOS settings to factory settings and reinstalled the RAM chip and plugged back in.  This resulted again in failure to load the BIOS.  I was wondering if the floppy disk failure was referring to the 19 in 1 card reader that is installed in the floppy drive bay.  This was put in at factory by DELL.  The setup utility indicates floppy disk set to "internal" which is the factory default.  Should I change this setting to none.

Thanks again for your help.

213 Posts

December 8th, 2008 00:00

When you took the battery out did you check the voltage - I had an old system that would stop part way through the BIOS checks and it turned out the problem was a run down battery. Could be your problem?

Bernard

December 8th, 2008 01:00

I've heard of this type of thing before ......unplug your card reader and then try a boot up again.....also if that doesnt work try removing memory as well ...yes vist will underperform with 2gb only but @ least you can then see if it is your memory.....let us know how far you've come :emotion-11:

3.4K Posts

December 8th, 2008 05:00

Hello,

The battery trick reset the BIOS back to the system Default,

And yes, set the floppy back to off. Since you had some luck by removing memory, remove all but one chip and start. If no go, remove that chip and replace it with the other. Try one chip in different slots, one at a time.

4 Posts

December 9th, 2008 21:00

Thank you all for your input and advise.  All was helpful.  By pulling an memory chip, it forced loading of the setup utility.  I deactivated the memory card reader and reinstalled all the memory chips and system successfully rebooted.  I downloaded the latest bios version (07) and installed this.  The only thing I don't know yet is whether the 19 in 1 card reader is faulty or was a system setup setting faulty.  Factory default is "internal"  other choices are to not use or set for USB.  I looked at the card reader but didn't remove it.  There is only one cable coming out the back.  I assume this is the data cable.  It is a gray ribbon cable with about 10 wires in it and it plugs directly into the motherboard rather than to a controller like the hard drive and CD rom.  I don't even see a power cable attached to this (maybe it gets its power through the data ribbon cable.)  I don't use the card reader much and I guess I could leave it deactivated since the rest of the system seems to work.  Any other suggestions?

I am impressed with everyone's help on this forum, I was worried I was going to have to buy a new system.

Thanks again!

December 9th, 2008 22:00

Hey Dude!!

Well, unfortunately there is no fix for this issue  ( NO POST ) as of now with Dell. In case if your system is covered under Warranty then the Motherboard, Power supply, and the Front I/O Panel need to be replaced, and it will fix the issue for you. Contact Dell to set up for a Service Call. Again, there is no other FIX!

Sukhdeep.

November 25th, 2009 03:00

I've just serviced an E510 for a friend and for some reason the 'Floppy' have been turned on in the BIOS although it wasn't present, the boot order had also chganged.  the machine was ridden with virus but I don't understand how this had affected the BIOS.

I presume this issue has been resolved but for anybody else experiencing this issue, take a look in the BIOS and disable Floppy.

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2010 14:00

I had a similar issue with my E510. Would not boot or anything, not even to BIOS. I did get a message after messing with a few things - X300XT BIOS P/N 113-A33437-102. After viewing this post I pulled the battery and the RAM. I then stuck 1G in slot 1. I was able to boot to BIOS. The floppy was then set to internal. I changed to disabled. The system then booted normally. Added an additional 1G to slot 2 and it booted normally.  I added 1/2G to slots 3 and 4 and it booted normally.  My BIOS is already at rev A07.  I will replace the battery soon, just to try and avoid this again, but not sure it would really help.  One thing to note is when this was new, it came with defective memory out of the box.

These posts were a great help.  Thanks.

January 3rd, 2010 15:00

That's actually quite interesting, I didn't try removing the battery so that may be something I'll try.  What is interesting is that when I recieved the Dimension 9150 there was also 1GB faulty memory. Coincindence?

This is really frustrating as I only removed the memory to get another machine up and running, the memory tested in another machine is fine but nothing at all on the 9150.  I'll try the battery.

No Events found!