Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 17th, 2014 16:00

Blank Icons

When I install my new Canon PIXMA Pro-100 printer it causes the icons in my taskbar and those in  my start menu to go blank and become unusable.  If I do a system restore to a time before my printer installation, my icons come back.  Then when I reinstall my printer, my icons disappear again.

I contacted Canon and they admitted to not having a clue as to the cause of this strange situation.  They suggested that I call my computer manufacturer or my software vendor.

If anyone knows why this happning and what I can do to correct it, please help me.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 18th, 2014 10:00

This Ancient Printer does not support windows 8 using the driver disc that came with the printer and isn't a Dell product.  I would suggest attaching it directly to your wireless router and only installing Print Drivers from the cannon site. The other software is not going to work with windows 8. A PC running Windows XP or  Mac running OS 10.5.8 and USB cable required to perform firmware update.

It supports PowerMac OSX 10.5 and Windows 2000.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/printers_multifunction/professional_photo_inkjet_printers/pixma_pro_100

• AirPrint:
    Enables you to print photos, email, Web pages and documents from your Apple device directly to your printer - without installing a driver. Wireless printing requires a working Ethernet network with wireless 802.11b/g or n capability.

June 18th, 2014 11:00

I have no idea what Speedstep is talking about.  My "ancient" printer came out last September.  My OS is not Windows 8 . . . never said it was.  I think Speedstep must have thought he/she was answering a completely different email.  Regardless, he/she made no sense.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 18th, 2014 14:00

Well, it would have helped if you told us what OS you are using, instead of what you're not using. And would also be helpful if you tell us the PC model too.  :emotion-5:

First, be sure to check the Canon site for a newer driver than the one that may have come on a disk with the printer or that Windows finds.

I had similar issue with older Canon printer when I installed it after upgrading my system from XP to Win 7.  So if this is Win 7, you should read this from Microsoft. 

And assuming that fixes the problem, you may also need to increase the size of the icon database cache to prevent this from happening again before you try installing the printer again. You can use the Fix-It here from Microsoft, or manually increase the database size by following the instructions on that same page.

NOTE: Manually editing the Registry can be tricky, and you should back the Registry up (eg, File>export) first. If you make a mistake, it could be fatal. So you manually edit the Registry at your own risk and I take no responsibility if...

After you make those changes, try installing the printer again.  And be sure to follow Canon's instructions about when to connect the printer to the PC which is typically after you start installing the drivers, not before you start installing them.

No Events found!