Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2010 20:00

Blinking power light, but with a strange twist

Our neighborhood recently had a brief 5-10 second power outage while the computer was on. The computer turned off and the amber power light started blinking. The computer wouldn't start when the power button was pushed. I wasn't sure what to do, so I held the power button in for several seconds trying to reset. The blinking stopped, and I immediately clicked the power button again. Hooray, the computer started normally. I thought the problem was solved. After shutting down for the night, the computer started normally the next day (push power button, computer booted). My daughter shut the computer down later that day, and about 20 minutes later I went to start the computer again. It would not start. Again, the power button was blinking amber. I again held the button in until the blinking stopped, immediately pressed it again and hooray, the computer started and booted. After awhile I shut the computer down for the night. The next day, the computer started and booted normally. Everything is working normally - fans are on, graphics card is working, speakers, drives. Can anyone tell me what is going on here? I am happy the computer works, but I'm curious about the blinking light. Could the CMOS need resetting? I hate to mess with anything as long as I can get the computer to boot. Thanks!

412 Posts

April 20th, 2010 21:00

Unplug it & take the CMOS battery out for 10 seconds. Hook it back up. See if that resolves it.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 20th, 2010 22:00

Our neighborhood recently had a brief 5-10 second power outage while the computer was on. The computer turned off and the amber power light started blinking. The computer wouldn't start when the power button was pushed. I wasn't sure what to do, so I held the power button in for several seconds trying to reset. The blinking stopped, and I immediately clicked the power button again. Hooray, the computer started normally. I thought the problem was solved. After shutting down for the night, the computer started normally the next day (push power button, computer booted). My daughter shut the computer down later that day, and about 20 minutes later I went to start the computer again. It would not start. Again, the power button was blinking amber. I again held the button in until the blinking stopped, immediately pressed it again and hooray, the computer started and booted. After awhile I shut the computer down for the night. The next day, the computer started and booted normally. Everything is working normally - fans are on, graphics card is working, speakers, drives. Can anyone tell me what is going on here? I am happy the computer works, but I'm curious about the blinking light. Could the CMOS need resetting? I hate to mess with anything as long as I can get the computer to boot. Thanks!

BMarz

I would be handy, to have the computer model and version of windows included in the post.

A blinking amber power button LED, usually indicates a problem with the power supply.

Bev.

2 Posts

April 20th, 2010 22:00

Sorry, I should have included that info. It's an XPS410, Windows XP. The manual states a blinking light might indicate a power supply problem, but as you can see in my original post, with some manipulation it still boots up and everything works fine, there is no indication of a PSU problem once it starts and boots up. It just seems a little odd.

No Events found!