Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

February 1st, 2004 10:00

Brand new Dimension 8300 does not recognize any USB device

Brand new 8300 w/ XP Pro does not detect USB devices. Device manager/USB Controllers show no errors (yellow highlight w/exclamation mark). Re-download USB driver from Dimension Resource CD without success. Unistalled USB Root Hubs (all 4 of them) using safe mode, still no success. Next will try to delete USB folder from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Enum, but before I do that I need to know if there is a better way to get this PC to detect USB hardware. By the way, the 3 USB devices (printer, joystick and digital camera)worked fine on an Optiplex PII 450MHz also using XP Pro. USB cabling and connector integrity has been verified.

720 Posts

February 1st, 2004 15:00

Could it be that at setting in the BIOS is causing this?

1.9K Posts

February 1st, 2004 15:00

Since the cable is known-good, the devices are good, and I'm assuming you've plugged to any/all 6 of your USB ports, then I'd either suspect some BIOS setting or that I'd want to run the dell diags on the USB controllers.

Those diags can be run from the resource CD or downloaded and run from this website.

It would be extremely odd for *none* of the USB ports to work.  I don't recall ever having seen that.....

(*I wouldn't start editing the registry over this if it were mine...)

Good luck

1.9K Posts

February 1st, 2004 18:00

That's a great suggestion, but wouldn't having that checked in device mangler result in red X/disabled indicators in same?

I don't have an XP machine handy right now to attempt to duplicate.....

1 Rookie

• 

3.9K Posts

February 1st, 2004 18:00

You might want to go to The USB Root HUB properties & ensure that the option to disable the device to save power is unchecked on all the hubs.

DaGeezerUS

5 Posts

February 1st, 2004 21:00

Ran Diagnostics. It shows all three devices connected and ping test passed. However they are not shown under Device Manager/USB Controllers. Installed latest vendor drivers for the printer (HP) and joystick (Gravis) and still PC does not detect devices (New hardware detected wizard never comes up). I have installed the drivers and re-started the PC without USP port detection success. Boy! I have never had so much trouble setting up USB devices.

417 Posts

February 1st, 2004 21:00

Could it be as simple as, the device(s) in question are not actually on? If they are not on and still connected they will not be seen/detected. Are these USB 1.x devices? The USB hardware/XP driver stuff is one thing, but simply plugging in a device does not necesarrily mean it will be found/detected - usually one needs to first install the device's driver stuff first. Most USB devices requre you to first install their driver and then plug in the device, not other way around. And what you are seeing is correct in the hardware device manager, the USB Hub etc etc are all operating correctly they just not see what you are trying to plug in - sounds like the particular drivers need to be loaded for your printer/joystick and camera.. An easily overlooked situation.

Message Edited by Seventy on 02-01-2004 06:46 PM

417 Posts

February 1st, 2004 22:00

Humm check in the BIOS and look for the USB stuff and be sure the USB legacy stuff etc are enabled.  I forget which of the USB ports handle USB 1x, and the others are 2.0..as that post escapes my mind. I think that when there are problems with older USB 1.x devices that do not work in the hybrid 1x/2.0 USB ports, you have to use the 1.x only ports - This is what has been suggested in past on these Dell toys.

25 Posts

February 3rd, 2004 00:00

I was curious if you have resolved your problem.  I bought an 8300 last week and I noticed that my USB ports do not work as well.  The peripherals worked on my old computer.  The device manager says that the USB ports are all working.  I have tried a lot of the ports, at least 4 of them with none working.

-Darren

6 Posts

February 3rd, 2004 21:00

Had the same thing happen to my XPS when I upgraded to XP Pro.  I went to the Device Manager and un-installed everything in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers.  I then shut the box down and started.  It rebuilt everything in there and all worked.

6 Posts

February 3rd, 2004 22:00

Glad it helped out.

25 Posts

February 3rd, 2004 22:00

Thank you tlhorses!!!  That did the trick.  I hope the author of this message thread sees this post.  Two tech-support guys couldn't help me, but that did it.  I love this machine even more now :)

-Darren

5 Posts

February 4th, 2004 02:00

Well, I finally did the obvious and simple. I decided to remove XP Pro and reload it. That did the trick. It was interesting that the sw installation requested to use the latest XP Pro updates. Once these were downloaded from the MS site and the XP Pro installation was completed. All 3 USB devices (HP printer, Gravis Joystick and video camera) were recognized. After I loaded their drivers they worked fine.

No Events found!