Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 10th, 2010 19:00

Burn Drivers onto CD to download on another computer.

I know which drivers I need to download but how do I burn them to a CD to install on another computer.  I am going to reinstall all of my brother's drivers on his computer.  I am using Windows XP but every time I try to download the drivers onto a CD it tries to download them onto my computer.

What steps do I take to download the driver list onto a CD for later use without installing them on my computer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I know a little bit about computers and i want to help my brother out but I don't want to ruin my computer in the process.

2.6K Posts

February 11th, 2010 10:00

First:   by "reinstall all the drivers", do you mean just the drivers, or reformattting and reinstalling the whole computer?    If you mean a reformat/reinstall, then depending on what computer he has it may be much easier to use the built-in PC Restore function.

Second: are you trying to use the Dell Download Manager?  If so, it installs a downloading application on your PC, which may be what you think is installing, not the drivers themselves.   If so, get rid of the Download  Manager. 

To clear out the Download Manager and used just the browser download,  remove the Dell Download Manager from Add/Remove (if it's listed), then clear the browser's cookies and temporary files to remove it as a default option - more FAQ's below.     Then you should be able to go back to the page and use  the second regular browser download option to get each file - don't try to add them to a list, just get them one at a time.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/downloads/en/downloads_faq?c=us&l=en&s=gen#link4

Third:   When you do use the browser option,   don't try to download straight to CD - burning and downloading don't mix.     Download the driver files to your PC's hard drive FIRST, then burn them.    Just downloading a driver file won't actually install it - simply delete the copy on your PC when you're done burning.    Or, you can use a flash drive instead of CD's.

3 Posts

September 10th, 2012 14:00

yes very good Alexandra. If you download the drivers to your "my computer" then right click for options and if you have a flash drive select removable disk. it will dl in seconds ready to rock!! fix them computers!!:emotion-22: have a beer

3 Posts

yes very good Alexandra. If you download the drivers to your "my computer" then right click for options and if you have a flash drive select removable disk. it will dl in seconds ready to rock!! fix them computers!!:emotion-22: have a beer

3 Posts

download to computer. when finished go start-my computer-my documents-downloads-go to driver that u just downloaded, right click and "send to" select flash drive and BAM! thats is.  On the comp u wanna set the download up on, go to start-my computer-click on removable disk-locate file double click and follow prompts.  You can do it,  flash drive will eliminate 2 steps, so thats the best way

9 Posts

October 9th, 2015 11:00

Here-in lies the rub.

If the computer that needs drivers is a Dell, you can download them from Dell ..BUT and this is a BIG BUT. ... IF the computer that NEEDS the drivers cannot access the internet, you are out of luck...Period! I have been through this for THREE WEEKS.

You can only install to the same computer you can use. If you need to install drivers from  another OS or Brand ... NO DICE!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 9th, 2015 13:00

WMM1-

Why are you responding to a thread that was started in 2010?

As was already said, you can download Dell's drivers on ANY PC, regardless of brand or model. Copy them onto a USB stick or burn on a CD and transfer them to the desktop of the Dell PC for installation

Obviously, drivers are going to be specific for the OS and for the PC model too.

If you explain exactly what you're trying to do, maybe somebody can help you...

No Events found!