Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2011 16:00

CD/DVD DISK WON'T EJECT

I completed an InPlace Upgrade for Windows Home Premium as instructed by Microsoft Technicians in order to fix a Installer issue due to Dell not installing something correctly onto the Dell Studio 1909 that I purchased in June of 2009. 

Once the Upgrade was complete and my system had rebooted several times the Microsoft Windows disk would not eject.  My computer no longer recognizes that there is a CD/DVD device and no Microsoft has left me hanging.  Can someone tell me what to do?  Is there a driver that needs to be reinstalled?  If so, can someone tell me which one..  It is so confusing looking at my dell driver downloads because I have absolutely no clue as to what is what? 

Please help!  I am desperate and broke and my Dell is no longer under warranty.

Shelly

2.9K Posts

January 19th, 2011 17:00

Shelly,

Device drivers should be installed in the order described here:  http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/downloads/en/driver_install_order?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~lt=print

The drivers for the Studio 1909 are here:  http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WLH&catid=-1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=STUDIO1909&hidos=WV64&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=True&scanConsent=False

For the Studio 1909, select your operating system, then download and install the chipset driver, followed by the network interface card driver, audio driver, wireless network card driver if installed, and input device drivers.

Let us know how you fare.

Tony

9 Posts

January 19th, 2011 20:00

Thank you very much!  This was awesome info and the disk came out.  HOWEVER, I have to reinstall Windows Vista Home Premium so after fixing everything,,,, I put the disk back in and it is doing the same thing again...  Any suggestions?

Shelly

2.9K Posts

January 19th, 2011 22:00

Shelly,

Whoa!  Why do you have to reinstall Windows Vista again?  Once you install the drivers, you're done.  We're going in a circle here.

Tony

9 Posts

January 19th, 2011 23:00

Windows installer was not working properly on my computer and an update also continuely was changing the date on my computer to the year 2075.  So, I contacted Microsoft for help.  They stated that Windows Installer was never installed on my system correctly to begin and/or Microsoft Office 2003 was causing these issues.  So they told me that I had to do a Inplace Upgrade to fix this.  It so happens that the disk I rcvd. from Dell did not have this option so Microsoft sent me Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit and 64 bit in the mail and had me install it.  However, they failed to mention that I was supposed to select the Windows Vista 'HOME PREMIUM' selection upon installation (which is what I already had, rather than the 'Ultimate' selection which was what was on the disk.  Therefore, not only did I do the upgrade for the wrong thing thanks to them, but once the upgrade was done, this is when the drive stopped working. 

Now, I have to reinstall 'Home Premium' per Microsoft.  Are they giving me the wrong info or something?  Oh, by the way, I also purchased Microsoft Office 2010 per their instruction because Vista is supposedly not compatible with Office 2003.

Thanks for your help!

Shelly

2.9K Posts

January 19th, 2011 23:00

Shelly,

Do you have your data backed up?  I think the best thing to do at this point is to backup your data and put the system back to its "as-shipped" state.

Tony

9 Posts

January 22nd, 2011 07:00

I have my data backed up on Dell Data Safe.  So, what do I do next to get my computer back to its 'Shipped as state'?

Thanks,

Shelly

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 22nd, 2011 08:00

Shelly,

Here you go.

2.9K Posts

January 22nd, 2011 09:00

Shelly,

Once you get your system restored to it's "as-shipped" condition, do not do an in-place upgrade again. 

You should be able to fix the system date jumping to 2075 by downloading an updated Dell ODD eject button driver from here:  http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R274770&SystemID=STUDIO1909&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=19298&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=17&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=405646

This driver fixes the random year change issue.  And yes, that driver is for the Optical Disk Drive.  It should also fix the CD/DVD won't eject problem.

Tony

9 Posts

January 22nd, 2011 09:00

Thank you very much!

Shelly

9 Posts

January 22nd, 2011 10:00

Your Awesome!  Thanks soo much!

Shelly

9 Posts

January 25th, 2011 08:00

Okay, I have a newborn so it's been hard finding the time to do all this.  I was going to do the 'Restoring your Computer's  Software to the Factory Settings' last night.  However, I got hung up on the 'Advanced Boot Options' Menu.  According to Step 3, you are to arrow down and select 'Repair Your Computer'.  This doesn't work for me, I do not have that exact option and I don't want to select the wrong thing and mess up my computer even worse.

Here are the options shown on my 'Advanced Boot Options' Menu:

safe mode

safe mode w/networking

enable boot logging

enable low-resolution video(640*480)

last known good configuration (advanced)

directory services restore mode

debugging mode

disable automatic restart on system failure

disable driver signature enforcement

start windows normally

...Can you please tell me which one of these is the option that I should be selecting.

Thanks, Shelly

2.9K Posts

January 25th, 2011 23:00

Shelly,

Oh crud!  Those Microsoft Techs in their infinite wisdom may have messed up everything by having you do an in-place upgrade.  You say you purchased your Studio in June of 2009.  On the Factory Restore link given by Osprey4, there is a link for Inspiron, Studio and XPS systems manufactured after April 22, 2009.  Those systems shipped with Data Safe Local Backup 2.0 and the Factory Restore procedure is slightly different.  The Factory Restore procedure for those systems is here:  http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?&docid=DSN_353562&isLegacy=true

As you can see, the basic instructions are the same; i.e., you turn on you computer, press F8 repeately while the Dell logo is on the screen until you see the Advanced Options menu.   You then highlight the Repair Your Computer option with the arrow keys and press Enter.  Click Next and login with the Administrator account created when you set up your computer.  Click Dell Factory Image Recovery and DataSafe Options and follow the on-screen prompts.

Hitting the F8 key repeately on startup while the Dell logo is on the screen is the key.  Do not hit the F8 key after the Dell logo clears.   Unfortunately, reinstallation of Windows such as an in-place upgrade can screw up access to the Advanced Options menu.   Power off your system.  Restart and hit the F8 key several times when the Dell logo appears.

Let us know if you can or cannot access the Advanced Options menu.  If not, go ahead and try the Safe Mode option and see if it really does bring you up in Safe Mode.   If it does, then we need to know if you created your System Recovery disks with Data Safe as described here:  http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_62A668E1C399857AE040AE0AB8E12942&isLegacy=true

If you did not create a set of System Recovery Disks, you can order them here:  http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

If you have a Full System Backup created with Data Safe, then you can restore your system to the date of that backup from within Windows using these instructions:  http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_62A668E1C3AA857AE040AE0AB8E12942&isLegacy=true

Let us know what you find.

Tony

No Events found!