Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

April 8th, 2001 14:00

COMPUTER FREEZES!

O Man Im P*ssed. I bought this computer 2 months ago and it keeps on FREEZING! I dunno what to do... I cant return this computer (I think) I mean 1.3 ghz and 256 RD RAM should be able to support MACROMEDIA FLASH 5.0, AIM, INTERNET EXPLORER, and WINAMP at the same time... Someone from Dell please reply and give me a good solution to this problem... PLZ!

28K Posts

April 8th, 2001 15:00

You probably have a conflict with some of the many programs that run from startup. Many of these are unnecessary and some are particularly troublesome. Pay a visit to Denny Denham's great site: http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/. and see if you can eliminate some of these startup programs. Post back here if you have some that are not discussed at Denny's site. If these measures don't solve the problem, then it could be a hardware problem. Also, please only post your messages to a single group rather than posting it to many different forums.

Steve

28K Posts

April 8th, 2001 22:00

The three that you mention are needed to run Windows, so keep them enabled. Now tell us what programs are running when the computer freezes. Are there any devices in device manager that show a problem? How often does the freeze occur. If you wait a few minutes before restarting the computer, does the lock-up go away?

Steve

10 Posts

April 8th, 2001 22:00

Okay I did what you did and there were three thing that werent on that site... System Tray, NAV DefAlert, and UpdReg... Also my computer keeps on freezing... Even WORST!

10 Posts

April 9th, 2001 02:00

Ok... I have 1.3 GHZ and 256 RD RAM PC800... And I have internet explorer, Macromedia Flash 5.0, and AOL Instant Messanger On... It freezes... HMmMm I'd say 1 times a day and those are the freezes that totally freeze where i hab to unplug and I have about 2 freezes where i can Cntrl + Alt + Delete to restart... Also i have another computer which is a PII 400 mHz with 128 SD RAM PC133 which runs Adobe Photoshop 6.0 much faster...

28K Posts

April 9th, 2001 02:00

Look in device manager - are there any devices that show a problem? Have you added any other PCI devices to your system? What USB devices are attached to your system? What video card is present and are the latest drivers installed? This is starting to sound like a hardware problem, so let's look at some of these things.

Steve

28K Posts

April 9th, 2001 13:00

Do get into device manager, right-click on "My Computer", then select properties from the drop-sown menu. Next, click on the "Device Manager Tab". Scroll down the list of devices and see if any of them have a yellow exclamation mark. This is the tag for a problem device.

Does your HP scanner or Epson printer connect via the USB ports (these have small rectangular connectors (about 1 cm wide)? Does your keyboard or mouse connect to the USB ports? If your scanner and printer connect via USB, try unplugging one of these, run your computer for a while and see if you get the freeze. If you do, unplug the other one and try it. See if you can narrow the problem down to one of these USB devices.

Getting a different fan will not help anything unless the fan is bad to start with. If this is the case, then try running your computer with the case open. If you get a freeze, check to see if the fan is running. If it is not, then call Dell Tech Support immediately to get a replacement fan.

Steve

Steve

10 Posts

April 9th, 2001 13:00

UmMmM... Ok.... Im not a computer expert. Just a High School Student who does webdesigning... So I dunno what the device manager is, It'll be helpful if you took a snapshot of your screen showing it... And my video card is 32MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX... And I did not install any PCI or AGP devices (Hope I knew how) and My HP 6200PC Scanner is connected, Epson 860C, Logitech Mouse, and DELL Keyboard... Also I would appreciated if you would tell me if replacing this DELL CPU fan With a fan of 4000 rpm for P4... Thanks for your help...

Paul

10 Posts

April 9th, 2001 15:00

Ok... I have one yellow exclamation makr on PS2 (PS/2) which is a mouse thing... Also, my Keyboard, Mouse, and Scanner connect to a USB Port except my printer which has thing long wide thing that has little spikes. And my Printer, Scanner, Mouse, and Keyboard is not the problem

Also I was thinking of gettting a new fan becauase sometimes well 5/9 times I check the air coming out is pretty warm for a computer. And I feel that P4 1.3 gHz doesnt really work like a 1.3 gHz I'm thinking that DELL cheated me :( And I do not wnat to open my case while running computer because everyone says that is bad for some reason... Dont know why.

Thanks Steve, Please Reply,
Paul

28K Posts

April 9th, 2001 15:00

You can try this: Get into "Device Manager" (right-click on "My Computer", select "Properties", then click on the "Device Manager" tab). Click on the + sign next to the Mouse entry, and select the PS/2 mouse. Then click on "Porperties". At the bottom of the window, put a check mark next to the line that says "disable in this profile", then click on "OK". Reboot your computer. When it comes back, check to make sure your USB mouse works. If it does, run your computer for a while and see if you still experience the freezes. If the mouse doesn't work, go back into device manager and reenable the PS/2 mouse.

Despite the fact that your USB scanner seems to work, if the above doesn't solve your problem, you should still try unplugging the scanner to see if the problem goes away.

You are too concerned about the fan. Dell designed the computers to work with the fan provided and will not likely give you another fan. Again, if you think the fan is failing, you can try what I suggested in my last message. You don't have to do this for a long time, just long enough to see if you get a freeze.

Steve

10 Posts

April 9th, 2001 16:00

Ok my mouse work and it seems to stop the freezings... Its been 2 hrs since I took out the PS/2 mouse thing.

Also I'm really concerned about the fan becuase I feel warm air coming out... That's a bad thing. And I was told that DELL 8100 has only 2 FANS! ONLY 2! WoW! And these fans are like 2500 rpm Im thinking cause I feel only weak wind coming out of the holes , whatever they're called.

And also I would like it if you would rather talk to me on AIM cause I can get things done much faster.

Thanks Steve,
Paul

28K Posts

April 9th, 2001 17:00

Glad to hear that it is working. By disabling the PS/2 mouse, your system will probably boot faster as well. Sorry, I don't use AIM, especially at work, where I am today. Again I think you are over concerned about the fan. Warm air is coming out because it is being removed from the system. This is normal.

Let us know if the freezing thing comes back.

Steve

10 Posts

April 9th, 2001 19:00

Well thanks for all your help Steve I'll post up a message if it starts again

Thanks,
Paul
No Events found!