Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

May 11th, 2007 21:00

CPU Fan Failure

I have a Dimension 5100.   I had a local technician replace the power supply.  He did not use a Dell power supply.  He said he used one compatible.  Now when I power up I receive a message that says Alert! CPU fan failure.  I called him he said it was fine.  The fan is a lot louder that the original one.  He used a 400 instead of a 300.  Does anyone think I should be concerned about the CPU fan?  Before replacing the power supply I replaced the motherboard because a different local technician said my power supply was fine.   I need any advice on this one!
Kris

5.8K Posts

May 11th, 2007 22:00

Did he replace the CPU fan in addition to the PSU? It sounds like he did.

Dell fans have a lead that is used to indicate the fans speed. If a fan is used without that lead, the computer will think the fan is dead and hence the warning.

You can get compatible fans, although I don't know where. Did you try searching this forum? It comes up a lot.

Peter

414 Posts

May 11th, 2007 23:00

As long as you aren't getting any thermal errors, I wouldn't worry about it if you're willing to put up with the noise.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 12th, 2007 01:00

Kris39

Dell use proprietary case/processor fans, you need to install a Dell Fan unit to avoid the "fan failure" error message. This part can be purchased from Dell Spare Parts.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

3 Posts

May 12th, 2007 02:00

Peter, no he didn't replace the CPU fan, just the power supply.  I can handle hitting F1 thru the error as long as there isn't a problem.  Although I'm not sure I can handle the noise of this fan.  It is really loud.  I haven't had time to search the forum.  I just plugged the computer in 30 minutes before I posted earlier.  I have had so many problems out of this computer I expect things to fail.  Should I have wanted the Dell power supply?  I am scared to replace with a Dell part on a Dell product. 
I purchased this computer in 9/05.  My first problem was 1/06, then 4/06, 5/06 then the largest problem was 10/06 the motherboard......1 month out of warranty.  I could kick myself for not extending the warranty.   Sorry, I am starting to vent.
Kris

414 Posts

May 12th, 2007 02:00

If you're having a problem with the noise, then I would get a dell part. Power supplies are typically inexpensive.

5.8K Posts

May 12th, 2007 04:00

Kris,

Why not ask the tech to put in something quieter. The PSU you got is unacceptable. In my experience, Dell PSUs have been very quiet, but you should be able to find others.

Also, it is not obvious why you are getting the fan messages when only the PSU was replaced. I would ask the tech about that also. Sounds like he made a mess of things.

Sorry about all your problems. My Dells have generally be pretty trouble free (my laptop had a bad optical drive that was replaced right away though). I think you have been particularly unlucky.

Peter

2K Posts

May 12th, 2007 14:00

Yeh, take it back (nice thing about having work done by a shop) and have him look at it again.  PS fans do not need to run fast unless the supply is colossally inefficient.

Only the CPU fan is monitored and causes the 'fan failure' message when its signal is missing.  Look in the back and confirm the CPU fan IS actually running.  If not, geez he might have left it unplugged (stuff happens) and you won't want to run the machine that way.

3 Posts

May 12th, 2007 19:00

Thanks to everyone.  I will call the tech and let him know this one is unacceptable!  Hopefully I can get this taken care of.   I want to be able to say this is a good computer that had a few glitches. 
Kris

May 13th, 2007 22:00

Just to add..sometimes clearing the event log & re-setting  the bios defaults fixes this issue.

Regards..Robin
No Events found!