Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

August 18th, 2008 06:00

Can't boot, can't access safe mode, can't boot to a xp cd

I have xp media center edition 2005 on a Dell xps 400.
When I boot I receive the following message:
windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system

it keeps on giving me that message and I can't access safe mode - blah.

when I try to boot of the xp cd I get to where it says it is starting up and I get the following bsod:
windows has suffered a critical error (or something close to that)...
stop: 0x0000007B (0xf7caf524, 0xc00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

can't boot, can't access safe mode, can't boot off of the os disc.

ok, so I nuke and formatted the hard drive and I run into the same exact issues.

I then put in a hard drive I never had issues with. It already has xp on it and I have the same exact issues.

I will guess it is hardware related but what hardware could be the problem? Your suggestions would be

appreciated on how I can resolve this problem.

Ok,

14.4K Posts

August 18th, 2008 10:00

Is you XP disk a Dell or non Dell disk?

38 Posts

August 18th, 2008 12:00

Dave, it is a non-Dell os disk.

14.4K Posts

August 18th, 2008 12:00

Your issue is that you need to load the sata drivers first. Go Here and download the driver. Extract itas it is a self extracting zip file and place it on the root directroy of a floppy disk. If you do not have a floppy drive you can try a USB or flash drive but there is not much suscess reported with this way. The only other way would  be to slipstream them into the install disk.

When the prompt to load drivers press F6 comes up then you need to load the SATA driver.

38 Posts

August 18th, 2008 15:00

Thanks Davet50.

If I find my xp pro dell disk would that prevent from loading any sata drivers?

Cheerss!

14.4K Posts

August 18th, 2008 16:00

Yes they would already be on the disk.

5 Posts

August 18th, 2008 18:00

I am having a similar problem with my XPS 400. When mine loads, I get an error screen that says the vlume is dirty. It then automatically runs CHKDSK which stalls on step 2 (verifying indexes). I have tried to run it in recovery console with the same results. I have tried to perform a repari install of XP from the boot disk and it stalls at 25%. I am not sure what else to do. I need to get a lot of files off of the drive. Is it possible to either install an additional hard drive, load windows on it, and access the other drive. Or, is there any way to read that drive with my Dell XPS M1330 laptop?

38 Posts

August 18th, 2008 23:00

Johnstonkw you can boot your computer using Knoppix. Go to this

to get the software. Hopefully, you can then hook up a external hard drive to your computer to back up 

the necessary information.

5 Posts

August 19th, 2008 00:00

Can you explain a little more how it works? The website was not very descriptive other than it is linux based. How does that let me get to the files on my XP hard drive?

38 Posts

August 19th, 2008 03:00

I feel your pain. Booting off the Knoppix cd allows you to see the contents of your hard drive. When you put a

usb flash drive or an external hard drive (whatever the connection may be) it can see that also as long as the 

format of the drive is FAT32. Then it is a matter of copying the files you want and pasting them onto your

storage device of your choice.

There are few steps you still need to do that I haven't explained. I would be happy to tell you about them

if you send me a private message with contact information. I will assume this can be accomplished in this forum. 

38 Posts

August 19th, 2008 17:00

After bootiing to the cd I press F6 to load the scsi adapter that Davet50 made mention of. They load successfully

but I still get the same exact error at the point that Setup is starting windows.

I am usng a non-Dell fully licensed copy of Windows xp Pro.

The reason why I am not using the original OS cd is that I am in the midst of moving and that cd is in storage

which would be rather hard to get to at this moment.

Any suggestions so I can boot and install XP Pro would be appreciated.

14.4K Posts

August 19th, 2008 22:00

How much ram is in your rig? Read a couple of posts that the 4 gig ram is a problem on XP as well as vista when installing.. just another thought.

38 Posts

August 20th, 2008 05:00

Thanks Davet50.

It has 2gb. I think I have found a friend who has an XPS desktop w/ a cd. I wil try that today and let you know

if this resolves my problems. I hope so.

38 Posts

August 21st, 2008 04:00

I was able to borrow xp home center edition dvd which allowed me to format the hard drive and install the os.

Many thanks for all your help and support.

5 Posts

August 22nd, 2008 17:00

I was finally able to access my files by using an external enclosure and plugging my HDD into my laptop. That was easy. Now, I am trying to re-install XP on the HDD and am not having any luck. I can get all the way to the point where it asks to choose a drive or partition, I select the correct one, and it begins preparing the drive for installation but stalls at 25%. Is is best to completely erase the drive and reformat before installing XP on top of it? If so, what is the best way to do that.

14.4K Posts

August 22nd, 2008 19:00

Yes you are better off reformatting the drive. You can do that from the install disk there should be an option to format the partition,

Or since you have it in the system go to drive managment and format it under there.

No Events found!