Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

July 13th, 2006 23:00

Can't start Windows, getting Windows Protection Error, System Halted

Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension 8100, running Windows Me.

I can't get my PC to load to the Windows desktop (I'm writing this email on a different computer). Here is exactly what happens:

I press the power button. The Dell Logo (w/setup, boot menu) comes on.

The Windows Me Startup menu comes on the screen (with a choice of Safe Mode, Normal, etc) and a message, Warning: Windows did not finish loading on the previous attempt.

No matter which mode I choose (safe or normal, or if I let the 25 second time run out) I get the same blue screen with the message:

"Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer. System halted."

I can go no further than this --- can't start in safe mode or get to the desktop.
It's just frozen at this screen.

I didn't install or download anything new on the computer. It was working fine yesterday. When I turned it on this morning, this is what I got. I checked the Error Code lights on the back of the computer and they were all green, indicating system is OK.

I would really appreciate any help, as my warranty is expired and I have already read through the manual (on the Dell website) and searched this forum database.

446 Posts

July 14th, 2006 02:00

Yes, this generally indicates hard drive failure, or a drive controller. This does not mean everything on the drive is lost, but you will probably have to get a new drive and install Windows new with your restore CD's. The you can use your broken drive as a secondary or "slave" drive, and hopefully rescue your data.

5150 Guy

381 Posts

July 14th, 2006 02:00

I'm sure you'll get advice from a lot of smarter folks than I, but i got the same message on my Dimension 4400 just a couple of months ago... my hard drive was bad and I had to replace it.
No Events found!