Ian Y
Copper

Can’t upgrade any further?

I seem to have reached the limit of how far I can upgrade my PC.

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 running Windows XP Home.

I’ve upgraded my CPU to a Pentium 4 3.4GHz, my RAM to 2.5GB, my PSU and my graphic card. This computer has been a great tool for 10 years now!

But it’s now fallen behind and doesn’t meet the minimum system requirements for new games which are looking for dual core processors at least.

Having done a bit of research, it seems I need a new motherboard and CPU. My thinking was that I could get a socket 775 Dell motherboard that supported up to quad core CPUs so that I could reuse things like my optical drives and hard drives etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a suitable mobo? What problems might I encounter? And can I reinstall Windows XP that came with my 8300 if I install a new mobo? Thanks for any help forthcoming.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
shesagordie
Diamond

Re: Can’t upgrade any further?

I’ve upgraded my CPU to a Pentium 4 3.4GHz, my RAM to 2.5GB, my PSU and my graphic card. This computer has been a great tool for 10 years now!

But it’s now fallen behind and doesn’t meet the minimum system requirements for new games which are looking for dual core processors at least.

Having done a bit of research, it seems I need a new motherboard and CPU. My thinking was that I could get a socket 775 Dell motherboard that supported up to quad core CPUs so that I could reuse things like my optical drives and hard drives etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a suitable mobo? What problems might I encounter? And can I reinstall Windows XP that came with my 8300 if I install a new mobo? Thanks for any help forthcoming.

Ian Y

If you wish to use a retail ATX motherboard, you will find it easier to buy a standard ATX case, instead of using the proprietary Dell Dimension 8300 'Clam Shell' case.

Both the Dell Dimension motherboards and cases have proprietary features.

The rear I/O panel may not line up correctly, so you could have to modify that.  Non-Dell cases and motherboards, don't have the same front panel wiring connnectors that Dell uses.

Dell uses a proprietary ribbon connector between the front panel and motherboard, whereas standard ATX motherboards use Molex style connectors, you'll have to figure out how to rewire the front control panel and USB ports, because Dell has never published the details of the pin-outs.

You may require at a minimum, memory, heatsink, video card, processor, power supply and possibly a SATA hard drive.

Dell's OEM copy of XP is tied to their BIOS, unless a Dell motherboard is used, you may need to add the cost of buying a new copy of XP to the upgrade.

Can a standard ATX motherboard be installed in an obsolete Dell 'clamshell' case, yes, it can, but it will not be easy, be prepared for a lot of aggro and it will not be cheap.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
RobinBredin
Diamond

Re: Can’t upgrade any further?

Your better off getting a new system, it could work out cheaper, and get a Inspiron 620 HERE.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

0 Kudos