Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 23rd, 2015 19:00

Cannot download any drivers for Dim8400

So I'm trying to get XP drivers for a Dimension 8400 from:

www.dell.com/.../drivers

but the web page does not work, just a Windows 8 promotional message and a service tag button that does nothing when clicked (I have already given the site the service tag, it worked the first time). The rest of the page perhaps works, content at the bottom of the screen (off screen - natch) changes when the big buttons are clicked, and I presume that stuff is OK. But I need drivers.

Is there an FTP directory out there that is rather more user friendly and functional? Or can anyone hook me up with links to the files offered (or perhaps hints as to where to get more recent drivers from the original part manufacturers).

I know this thing is an old wreck, and XP is nothing to consider these days, but it is just going to be a legacy PC for running some old software, where a VM won't do.

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2015 20:00

Yeap, fixed this problem myself. Coincidentally, a year ago tomorrow I had already got the drivers. The more user friendly location is in my home:

~/packages/bin/BatmanXP$ ls
AMD.ATI\ Catalyst\ video/
Analog\ Devices\ ADI\ 198x\ Integrated\ Audio\ v5.12.01.5246,\ A22\ -\ DellAnalog\ Devices\ ADI\ 198x\ Integrated\ Audio\ v5.12.01.5246,\ A22\ -\ Dell\ R94481/
Broadcom\ 570x,57XX\ Gigabit\ Integrated\ Controller\ Driver\ V7.86\ WinXP\ -\ Dell\ R87461/
Intel\ Application\ Accelerator\ RAID\ Edition\ v4.5.0.6515,\ A08\ -\ Dell\ R82884/
Intel\ Chipset\ Software\ Installation\ Utility\ v6.2.1.1001,\ A10\ -\ Dell\ R91894/
bios/

I did manage to Google-up a link just now to an 8.5meg exe file for the NIC, what I had found in the past saved in a sensible way is a mere 244.5k. What is wrong with these companies? Immense bloat, both in what they offer and the interfaces to try and get at stuff! The exe driver packs superficially cannot be worked with on non MS platforms, plain archive files are so much more interoperable. Is it Dell's policy to try and lock people in? Now just to install MBSA so that I can update the machine without having to install that malware, Windows Genuine Advantage.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 24th, 2015 02:00

I advise patching Windows XP fully using the WSUS Offline Update before driver installation:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/wsus-offline-update/obtaining-the-latest-service-packsbuilds-of-internet-explorer/patching-windows-xp-fully-using-the-wsus-offline-update/

Is there an FTP directory out there that is rather more user friendly and functional? Or can anyone hook me up with links to the files offered (or perhaps hints as to where to get more recent drivers from the original part manufacturers).

Yes http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/dimension-8400.html

Windows XP reached end of life 10 months ago so it should be thought of as "at risk" and its use online should hence be avoided.

No Events found!