Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

November 3rd, 2006 14:00

Canon Printer - USB Device Not Recognized

am running Windows XP Service Pack 2 on a Dimension 3000. When I try to install the drivers for my new Canon Pixma 530 printer, I got a "USB Device Not Recognized" message that says "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

Canon tech support suggested I try connecting the printer to a different computer. I did, and it installed with no problem.-- so the problem is definitely with my computer. Canon suggested that I look for an update to my chipset driver. I went to the Downloads section of this site and downloaded the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility. I installed it, and it didn't help.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 3rd, 2006 17:00

Are you connecting the printer first? which is a no-no.  The install program must be run and ONLY when the install program tells you, connect the unit to the PC.  If you connect it first either the install will fail or Windows will install wrong drivers.

If you are not connecting the unit first, uninstall the USB, in the device manager then restart Windows and the USB will be detected and reinstalled (refreshed).  See if this makes a difference. 

You can also use the System Restore function and restore your PC to a date time PRIOR to first attempting to install the unit, then do the USB uninstall routine and then try the install again.

6 Posts

November 3rd, 2006 18:00

Thanks for the suggestion fireberd, but that didn't help. I wasn't connecting the printer first. I did try uninstalling the USB (listed as Unknown Device) in the Device Manager, than restarted Windows and got a new error message. Windows detected the printer as USB Composite Device, but in the device manager it now showed up with a yellow exclamation point and the message "This Device Cannot Start". I went back to Dell Tech Support FAQ, and it looked like I needed to get the correct drivers from Canon. So I downloaded and installed the drivers. Back to the original error message of "USB Device Not Recognized". I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the USB Host Controllers. No help.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 3rd, 2006 20:00

A couple more things to try.  Install the chipset drivers and see if that helps.  If not, after reinstalling the chipset drivers do the uninstall reinstall of ALL USB listed in the device manager then restart Windows (You may have to just power off the PC with the front panel power switch after you uninstall all USB listed). 

2K Posts

November 3rd, 2006 20:00

'New USB' is back-compatible with 'old USB' (at the slower speed) and the wiring is as simple as possible--signal + & - and power + & - .  It's supposed to 'just work', and usually does.  But even Dell USB keyboards can malfunction with Dell systems, and if there were ever two devices that should be compatible it's the computer and keyboard from the same brand (the vendors who actually make them are unrelated however).

Since it's already doing something it's not supposed to do, let's try something that's not supposed to make any difference--try every USB port.  They are electrically separate from each other, and if some unknown condition is affecting one socket it may not be affecting another.  I don't remember any BIOS settings that disable a class of device, but some have provisions for turning USB off (under 'onboard devices').

Naturally, all other USB devices work fine in the same hole you're plugging the printer, right? 

Windows can disable USB ports with which it has experienced disagreements, but uninstalling/reinstalling resets that.  If you want to rule out Windows, substitute the harddrive from another system (image has to have been created by the same generation chipset).  If the problem goes away then, the problem is with Windows.  If it remains, it is motherboard hardware.

6 Posts

November 3rd, 2006 22:00

Tried your new suggestions, except for switching out the harddrive, which isn't really practical for me. I'm getting the same error messages. I'm starting to think I'll have to dig into my wallet and try tech support.

Thanks.

2K Posts

November 3rd, 2006 23:00

We're wandering into software, but it's a strong suspect.  Some installed multiple drivers for the same class device (printer, display...) can coexist within Windows and the system will figure out which one to load when it detects the hardware.  Some might not--the problem arises with that 'system will figure out' thing--conflicts arise.

Just checking, you never said, but did you completely uninstall the previous printer?  Printers like to seize priority sometimes, and installing one on top of another is a potential conflict.  Uninstall  all printers from Control Panel.  That 'should' remove the old one as default printer within all applications.  Then install the Canon.

6 Posts

November 3rd, 2006 23:00

I did delete the old HP printer before trying to install the Canon. There wss another printer in the Printers Folder - I have Adobe Acrobat 6.0 which shows up as a virtual printer.

It seems unlikely that Adobe Acrobat is the cause. I hooked up my old HP and my computer recognized it with no problem.

2K Posts

November 4th, 2006 02:00

Us lab rats always have 'known good' stuff laying around to substitute--printers, images, motherboards.  It's dang hard to narrow stuff down otherwise, but we get spoiled.  Anything in the entire chain--even the cable--could be marginal--work in one configuration but not another.  That's what the test results return so far.  Without hands-on, you've tried everything I can think of.  (Good procedure on your part.)

6 Posts

November 4th, 2006 18:00

Thanks again for your efforts to help.

When the attempted fixes didn't solve the problem, I decided to call Geek Squad. Great experience. The tech talked to me over the phone and took control of my desktop through my broadband internet connection.

He went into my Add/Remove Programs folder and deleted the Canon Printer software. He then turned off my McAfee Antivirus. We ran the install disk and the printer was detected with no problem. He gave me those two pieces of basic advice. 1)If install fails, the software folder may be corrupted. Make sure you delete the program before trying a new install. 2) Antivirus programs may interfere with the install, so turn them off.

2K Posts

November 5th, 2006 01:00

Thanks for coming back and posting the resolution.  It adds to the knowledgebase.  I confess I didn't see that (the Mcafee conflict) coming.  (But I don't use AV software, it eats resources and guarantees nothing.)

6 Posts

November 12th, 2006 21:00

Just to update the knowledgebase further and set the record straight. It turned out the fix from Geek Squad wasn't the answer - turning the computer off and then turning it on again brought the problem back. They were going to have me reinstall Windows, but before doing that I decided to call Dell Tech Support. After two days of calls, they figured out it was a conflict with the high speed USB controller (?) (USB2 Enhanced Host Controller.) They showed me how to uninstall the controller and stop it from loading during the boot process. The problem is now really solved.

5 Posts

October 31st, 2017 02:00

Here is how to fix USB Not Recognized message in Windows 10

Reboot Your PC

Reinstall Your External USB Driver

Update Your PC Drivers

Disconnect Any Other Removable Disk To Avoid Conflict

Scan For Hardware Changes

Run The Hardware And Device Trouble-Shooter

Repair The “USB Not Recognized” Issue With Hotfix

Disable USB Selective Suspend Setting

Install Your Motherboard Chipset Drivers

Source:- merabheja.com/.../  

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 31st, 2017 11:00

win121 - Why are you responding to a thread that's ELEVEN years old..???

No Events found!