Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2017 07:00

Changing boot order XPS 8910

I recently added a Samsung M.2 SSD in the M.2 slot and want to permanently  change the boot order. Right now I have to select F12 during boot to change boot order. I'm coming up blank on this. Any help would be appreciated. I'm running Windows 10Pro

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

August 12th, 2017 11:00

2.3K Posts

August 12th, 2017 11:00

Hello!  At the Dell logo hit F2 to enter BIOS/UEFI.  From there I believe it is listed under 'Boot' then 'Boot Option'.  

307 Posts

August 12th, 2017 13:00

When you installed the SSD you should have either installed Windows with the HDD disconnected or cloned the SSD and disconnected the HDD after completion of the cloning operation before rebooting. Now you have Windows on both the SSD and the HDD, so I assume you want use the HDD for additional storage. If I recall correctly if you boot from the SSD you will not see the HDD and vice versa. I struggled with how to best re-initialize the HDD and ended up running DiskPart from a Macrium Reflect Rescue CD which I created and booted from..

6 Posts

August 12th, 2017 15:00

Thanks Mary G.............  I took a look at this but my bios seem to be different. I did do a bios update today,

6 Posts

Thanks...........  but no cigars. My bios don't have that option.

6 Posts

Your right, I did not disconnect the HDD after doing a file migration using the Samsung software. However, I was able to bring the original HDD back online using Microsoft Disk Management program. I formatted the old HDD drive so as to remove the ordinal operating system. back to my original question.........  is there a way to change the boot order in my present state? When I use F12 and select SSD everything works great but it would be nice not to have to go through this routine every time I boot up.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

August 12th, 2017 18:00

The SSD should be connected to the SATA0 port on the motherboard, not the HDD that you wiped.

SATA0 may be a blue connector on the motherboard. But either way, the easiest thing might be to swap the SATA data cable between the old HDD and the SSD if the SSD isn't already connected to SATA0.

307 Posts

August 13th, 2017 05:00

I think you missed the part where the OP said his SSD is installed in the M.2 slot so it is not connected to SATA0. I think the OP needs to re-initialize the HDD not just format it. Formatting only affects the primary partition and does nothing to the GUID partition table (GPT) containing boot information. The only way I know to re-initialize the HDD is with the DiskPart command.

6 Posts

August 13th, 2017 07:00

Thanks vtoy.............  that answers a lot of my questions.

6 Posts

August 13th, 2017 08:00

vToy.............  I reinitialized the disk and that did the trick. The computer now boots from the SSD drive. Thank you very much.

307 Posts

August 13th, 2017 09:00

I am glad it worked out for you. Like I said, I struggled with this because I didn't want to screw it up.

No Events found!