Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 12th, 2012 15:00

Computer Is Locked-Cannot Reboot-Open Windows Or Anything

My computer locked up a few days ago and I had to shut down manually.  [  Dell Insiron 530 Desktop ]  I purchased this unit in 2008, directly from Dell.  Windows Vista

When I turned it back on, all I got was an error message on black screen

( Diskette Drive 0 Seek Failure )

( Press F1 To Continue, F2 to Enter Setup )

Guess what?  It won't let me enter either one.  After this first happened, I could press F1 several times and get to the User-Password screen with my User Icon showing, but it would not let me enter my password.  That's as far as I could get.

I shut everything down and replaced the 3-V Coin Battery (CR2032) with a new one.  Only now I cannot even get to the User-Password screen.

F1, F2, F8, F12  All have no affect.  It doesn't matter if I press them once or several times, I still get the same error message, as I stated in the beginning of this post.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

14.4K Posts

May 12th, 2012 16:00

I edited your post to remove your service tag as that is a violation of the TOU and is for your privacy protection.

Try unplugging your harddrive and see if you can get into the bios. The system of course will not boot up without the harddrive but it may be causing your issue.

If that does not work try removing and re-seating your ram sticks.

What is the color and condition of your power button light and do you hear any beeps?

2 Posts

May 13th, 2012 17:00

Fixed; it was a bad keyboard.  I plugged the original Dell keyboard in and everything is back to normal.  I only had to reset

the date and time.  Thanks

No Events found!