Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2002 14:00

Computer Whining Noise

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 computer with windows XP Pro.  It has two physical hard drives (from Dell), one CDROM (NEC), and one CDRW (Plextor).  When I first received the computer, it had some whining noise, but not too bothersome.  However, in the last month, the noise has increased to the point that it really has become a serious nuisance. 

Is there a specific way to trouble shoot this noise problem?  In a post on this forum concerning the same subject, someone suggested that the computer be opened and operated so as to listen for the noise.  Since the 8200 opens as a clam shell, is it safe to operate the computer while it is open (the tower is not very stable while open)?  If the noise appears to be coming from the cpu fan, is there a specific way to accurately determine that the noise it coming from the fan, such as removing the fan shroud, or etc?

Would appreciate any help with this problem, Sam.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 24th, 2002 03:00

scams.

This article may help you troubleshoot the noise problem.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

If you find the problem is a fan, then phone Dell Tech,. Support at 1-800-624-9896 and request a replacement.

Bev.

67 Posts

October 24th, 2002 10:00

You can go to the following link and select "find my service tag".

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

4 Posts

October 24th, 2002 10:00

What a coincidence - I just logged in because of a whining noise I have from my Dimension 4100! I've isolated mine to the power supply fan. I did this by opening the case and listening carefully! I eliminated the case fan, which is adjacent, by disconnecting its power lead from the motherboard. Dell online support is useless - they require a service tag and when I enter mine (MONEL) they tell me it's invalid - so why did they stick it to my case? I filled in a feedback questionnaire to let them know what I thought, pressed the submit key and was told there was a server error! I'm about to resort to the good old telephone.

56 Posts

October 24th, 2002 17:00

Bev, many thanks for the referenced Dell document.  The document has excellent trouble shooting procedures.  I was not too happy with a prior suggestion of having the tower open with power on, to trouble shoot the noise problem!!  Sam.

4 Posts

October 27th, 2002 08:00

I tried the find system tag approach - it came back and said sorry it was unable to determine my system tag!!  Is this my fault for upgrading my own computer - I added memory and a second disk drive?
No Events found!