Highlighted
mepoole1
Bronze

Computer Will Not Turn On

Jump to solution

I have a Dell Dimenson 8400 XP MCE 2005 that will not turn on. It had been working fine up until 3 days ago. When I push the start button, nothing happens. No lights, etc. Does this mean I need a new power supply, a new start switch, or what?

0 Kudos
12 Replies

Re: Computer Will Not Turn On

Jump to solution

Hi mepoole1,

Follow below steps to isolate the issue:

1. Ensure to disconnect all the external devices from the computer.
  2. Try a different wall outlet, then try to power on the system. 
  3. Reseat the power cord which is connected to “Power Supply” of the system tower, then try to power the Desktop system. 
  4. SWAP the power cord of the Monitor with the system power cord, and then try to power on the Desktop system.

Let me know the status.

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
Rajesh R
#iworkfordell
To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
If a post answers your question, please click "
Yes".

shesagordie
Diamond

Jump to solution

mepoole1

Is the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber, or off?

Check the sequence of the diagnostic lights on the back panel of the case.

The 8400 Diagnostic Guide and Troubleshooter is  HERE.<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

Are there any error messages, or 'Beeps'?

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi mepoole1,

in addition you might also want to try releasing the flea power which works most of the times on Desktop computers

steps:

1. unplug the computer from wall socket.

2.press and hold the power button for about 10 to 20 seconds.

3. connect the computer again to power outlet at the wall socket.

4. try power on the computer.

Thanks & Regards

fayaz khan

#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
mepoole1
Bronze

Jump to solution

Nothing happened.

Another party suggested unplugging the computer, press and holding the power button for
10 to 20 seconds, replugging and trying to power on the computer. That Worked.

However, now when I power on, the computer goes through startup, I can see XP loading,
but I then get a blue screen with "STOP: c0000218 Unknown Hard Error, Unknown Hard Error".

Thanks for your help, most appreciated.

0 Kudos
mepoole1
Bronze

Jump to solution

Nothing happened. I could find no diagnostic  lights on the back.

Another party suggested unplugging the computer, press and holding the power button for

However, now when I power on, the computer goes through startup, I can see XP loading,

but I then get a blue screen with "STOP: c0000218 Unknown Hard Error, Unknown Hard Error".

0 Kudos
mepoole1
Bronze

Jump to solution

Nothing happened.

0 Kudos
shesagordie
Diamond

Jump to solution

mepoole1

Again, what colour is the power button LED and is it solid, or blinking and are there any 'Beeps'?

The four diagnostic lights, on the back panel are located next to the Green and Purple PS2 ports.

Try removing all the peripherals, except monitor, mouse and keyboard, disconnect the power cord, then press and holding the power button for around 30 seconds, reconnect the power cord directly into the outlet and see if this makes a difference.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
Forum Member since 2001

mepoole1
Bronze

Jump to solution

All 4 lights are yellow

0 Kudos
shesagordie
Diamond

Jump to solution

mepoole1

Again, what colour is the power button LED and is it solid, or blinking and are there any 'Beeps'?

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos