Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2011 15:00

Computer Will not start

Hello All,

My computer which is a Dell Dimension 4600, does'nt start up properly. When I turn it on it displays the Windows XP screen then goes blank and then the Windows XP sceen appears for about 20 seconds, Then the computer make a shut down noise, but stays on and a blue screen appears with a message. It says registry cannot load the hive (file)systemRoot\System32\configure\SOFTWARE log or alternate is corrupt, absent, or not writable. I'm a computer beginner and dont understand all this language. Please can someone tell me whats wrong and how I can fix this as I have a lot of work on this computer.

Thanks.

2.9K Posts

December 21st, 2011 12:00

nbh001,

Do not become desparate and reformat your hard drive or run a repair of Windows XP.   Click on Start|Run.  Type notepad and press Enter.  Copy and paste the following text into Notepad:

copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security

Save this as regcopy1.txt

In Notepad, click File|New.   Copy and paste the following text into Notepad:

del c:\windows\system32\config\sam
del c:\windows\system32\config\security
del c:\windows\system32\config\software
del c:\windows\system32\config\default
del c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\tmp\_registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\tmp\_registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\tmp\_registry_machine_sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\tmp\_registry_machine_security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\tmp\_registry_user_.default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Save this as regcopy2.txt

Once you have created these two files, save them to a floppy disk.  I assume that the corrupt system has a floppy disk drive.  If not, then let us know.

When you have completed this step, let us know and we will proceed from there.

Tony

5 Posts

December 21st, 2011 15:00

Thank you so much for replying, but I cannot log on to the computer to get to start and run and then notepad. Can i do this on another computer and then save the file onto a floppy/cd and then try and put into my system. the computer becomes frozen on the blue screen with the message. Please advise further.

Thank you

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 22nd, 2011 01:00

The instructions look to be from this article: support.microsoft.com/.../307545

The article warns not to use the procedure for an OEM-installed XP and suggests using the Dell recovery utilities instead.

5 Posts

December 22nd, 2011 04:00

thank you for your reply and please expand on dell recovery utilities. i have the dell utilities and recovery cd , if thats what you mean. what is an oem installed xp?

thanks .

2.9K Posts

December 22nd, 2011 05:00

nbh001,

The link given by rdunnill is definitely where the repair procedure comes from.  It has been used successfully by myself and others on Dell systems that shipped with Windows XP.  The Dell Reinstallation CD for Windows XP is nothing more than a standard Microsoft Windows XP disk that is preactivated..  Unlike other OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers), Dell's Reinstallation CD for Windows XP does not create OEM-specific user accounts and passwords.

Tony

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 22nd, 2011 10:00

In that case, the OP can use the Recover Console of the install disc to perform the above operations.

5 Posts

December 29th, 2011 14:00

Hello rdunnill

I'm sorry for the late reply but can please expand on your last post in non-computer language ie, OP, Recover Console. Like I said I'm a computer beginner. I think you may have to talk me through this in ABC formatt.

Thanks

No Events found!