Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2005 22:00

Computer starts up on its own???

I helped my brother purchase a new XP400 and so far its great. But he hit me this morning with  something I never heard of. He claims he turned off his computer last night(start, turn off computer, turn off) and it shut off. When he got up in the morning it was up and running. He claims also to have watched it shut down and it did not reboot. He also said he "thinks" this happened other times too.

I tend to think he either forgot to shut it off or for some reason the  computer rebooted like they do sometimes instead of shutting off. But before I tell him he's full of it I was wondering if there may be some program restaring the computer from a complete shut off to run an update or some other task. You know... is there some esoteric progam I haven't heard of at work here or maybe some ghostly thing happening?

BTW he's 70 and I'm 60 so it may be a case of brain rot on both our parts. :smileysad:

He is running win xp pro.  He has a dsl router but the rest of the network is not set up. The other machine is a one year old XP with winxp pro.

932 Posts

December 24th, 2005 04:00

Dell's recent BIOS's have the ability to automatically power-on the computer at a specific time each day (to record scheduled TV, for example). First thing I'd do is make sure the "Auto-Power On" feature is turned off. To enter the BIOS, repeatedly press the "F2" key as the computer boots / reboots; and look for the Auto-Power On feature under "Power Management".

2.1K Posts

December 24th, 2005 16:00

Reading this reminded me of the joke where a guy who goes to the doctor complaining of always having a bowel movement at 6 AM everyday. The doctor simply says, "Well, that's good...and a sure sign you're in good health." The guy responds, "Yeah, but I don't get up 'till 7"...

:smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by VCraig on 12-24-2005 01:17 PM

22 Posts

December 24th, 2005 17:00

Hey!! :smileyvery-happy: Well I was going to respond but I forgot what I was going to say. But be reassured that it was a snappy come back though. :smileysurprised:

Reading this reminded me of the joke where a guy who goes to the doctor complaining of always having a bowel movement at 6 AM everyday. The doctor simply says, "Well, that's good...and a sure sign you're in good health." The guy responds, "Yeah, but I don't get up 'till 7"...

22 Posts

December 24th, 2005 17:00

Hey thanks. Before I call him old and brain rotted I'll check that out. :smileyhappy:

932 Posts

December 25th, 2005 05:00

That's a good one, VCraig!

Happy Holiday...
No Events found!