Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2010 20:00

Computer won't start up completely

Hi there!  I have a Dell Vostro 200 home computer that as of yesterday does not want to fully start up.  When I push the on button I get the familiar whir of the computer starting and the familiar beep that happens right before booting up.  Then the familiar Dell screen comes up that is usually the last step before the computer fully starts up..  However the computer remains on this screen and goes nowhere else.  I can hear either the fan or computer running but it does not go from this Dell screen to Windows log on. 

Let me describe the Dell Screen.  Mostly black with a blue Dell logo on it.  On the upper right it has "F2 = Setup" and "F12 = Boot Menu"  (neither of these do anything when pushed nor does F8 when pushed).  There is an intel logo on the bottom right and  below the Dell insignia is "BIOS Revision1.0.10"

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this?  Probably 90% of the data is already backed up so it isn't the biggest loss in the world but I'd still like to access the other 10%.

Thanks so much for any help whatsoever!

PS.  I just tried to reboot from the Windows reinstallation disc and nothing happened.  I still could not get any where other than the Dell screen I described above

6.4K Posts

October 10th, 2010 21:00

Your description indicates that the computer is not making it through the self test.  This is frequently caused by a bad connection somewhere.  I would suggest beginning with the memory and reseating every module.  If you have the same problem after that, I would remove all memory and put one module into the first memory slot.  If that works, try another memory module in the same slot until you have checked all of them.  This will tell you if you have any bad modules.  If all the memory modules seem to work, try one in each of the memory slots to be sure you don't have a bad memory slot in the computer.  If everything seems to work, put all the memory back to see if things will keep working.

I haven't looked at your service guide, but I know that most computers made during the last three or four years use dual channel memory controllers.  Don't worry about this while you are troubleshooting, but make sure  you take note of which modules are paired up and make sure that they stay that way.  They shouldn't need to go back into the same connectors just so long as they are in the same paired slots.  This will ensure you have best performance when the machine is again working.

445 Posts

October 11th, 2010 10:00

I am not trying to hijack this thread, but I just had a similar problem on my Studio XPS 435T that I would like some advise on. I was using the computer as normal when everything just got really, really slow. I would click an icon or program to load and nothing would happen for 3 or 4 minutes. I then tried to do a restart the normal way and waited 10 minutes and still no reaction. I did a hard reset and when the computer came back up it would only go as far as the Dell splash screen and stop. I let it set there for 15 minutes and then got a screen saying "Your computer was unable to start" about 5 minutes later I get another screen that says "Start up repair can try to restore your computer to an earlier point of time when it worked correctly"  After another 5 minutes the screen says " attempting repairs, start up repair is checking your system " About 10 minutes later I get a screen saying "start up repair can not repair your system automatically" It gave me a little drop down that had a system restore option listed. I clicked that and after 10 minutes I get a screen telling me that restore could not be completed  and nothing was changed. I had already removed everything except the keyboard and mouse from the computer to make sure my printers or scanner wasn't causing the problem. I had the Dell support number, but hate to call them because I am hard of hearing anyway and can only understand about 10% of what the techs are saying. As a last resort I did another hard reset and the computer came back up normal???? I shut the computer down last night and this morning everything seems normal. The event viewer shows two things that happened about the time the computer started acting up. One says Service Control Manager Event ID 7022 and SideByside  Event ID 35. Does anyone have any ideas of what could cause this? The computer seems to be working OK now, but for how long.

Thanks

Wayne

1 Message

April 8th, 2011 15:00

Does anyone have any other solution for the original poster's problem? I am having the same problem.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 8th, 2011 18:00

Hi there!  I have a Dell Vostro 200 home computer that as of yesterday does not want to fully start up.  When I push the on button I get the familiar whir of the computer starting and the familiar beep that happens right before booting up.  Then the familiar Dell screen comes up that is usually the last step before the computer fully starts up..  However the computer remains on this screen and goes nowhere else.  I can hear either the fan or computer running but it does not go from this Dell screen to Windows log on. 

Let me describe the Dell Screen.  Mostly black with a blue Dell logo on it.  On the upper right it has "F2 = Setup" and "F12 = Boot Menu"  (neither of these do anything when pushed nor does F8 when pushed).  There is an intel logo on the bottom right and  below the Dell insignia is "BIOS Revision1.0.10"

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this?  Probably 90% of the data is already backed up so it isn't the biggest loss in the world but I'd still like to access the other 10%.

Thanks so much for any help whatsoever!

PS.  I just tried to reboot from the Windows reinstallation disc and nothing happened.  I still could not get any where other than the Dell screen I described above

Is the power button blue or amber, solid or blinking. Troubleshooter for V200 is here. 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Disconnect all USB devices, except mouse and keyboard. Reboot again. Does that help?

If that doesn't help,  reseat the RAM modules as JackShack suggests, then remove the motherboard battery and press/hold power button on tower for ~30 sec. Reinstall the battery (right-side-up!) and see if it'll boot now with only mouse, monitor and keyboard attached.

Always power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec before working inside the case. :emotion-5:

Ron

4 Posts

April 9th, 2011 12:00

Hello Rohe and prncess674,  Back in October what I did to fix the problem was much what Rohe suggested.  I unplugged everything from the computer and unplugged the computer.  Then I pushed and held the power button for about 30 seconds.  Plugged the computer back in and rebooted and it worked.  I was told that when a computer isn't shut down properly sometimes a latent charge can remain in the motherboard battery and this could (and in my case apparently did) cause this problem.  Ya learn something everyday!   My thanks for your help and  comments!

Ron

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 15th, 2011 19:00

Is this fixed now?

Ron

4 Posts

April 15th, 2011 23:00

Yes, that did fix the problem.  Thanks for your help!

2 Posts

October 30th, 2011 12:00

This might be an old thread, but just wanted to share my experience on the Dell Vostro200s, running BIOS 1.0.16. Lately, mine has experienced the same problem, shutting off and turning on, was reading all related problems which involves power supply, motherboard or the RAM. I bought myself a new power supply thinking it would cure the problem. But putting the new power supply didn't give me the solution I was expecting. Computer still shuts off and turns on with no apparent reason. Mine is a 4gb RAM and tried to experiment by removing all the RAM and putting it back in making sure its well in place on its slots, with this experiment I've tried removing the battery CR2032 and putting it back in after 30 seconds. When I plug it back in, the fan just revved on high and the monitor wouldn't even boot up. Thinking that I've done more harm than good, I've decided to risk another experiment by taking the 2 RAM off slots 1 and 3 and decided to replace the battery with a new one. Plug the Vostro and voila, it worked! Just needed to change the time due to the new battery change. I've decided to put the other 2 RAM memory that I've removed, just to check if it's a motherboard problem and when I put it back in it just booted up as normal. Don't know if the battery change has something to do with it, but obviously this worked for me. Fingers crossed its been running for about 6 hours now without shutting off, I'd definitely update this forum if it did went back to the same problem. Hope this would help Dell Techie people to decipher what problem has this Vostro 200s, seems to be a common problem with this unit.

5 Posts

February 4th, 2012 16:00

am not able to able to go in safe mode

13 Posts

It could be the ram or harddrive, try resetting the ram, you do this by removing each ram slot and plugging it back in, dont mess up the order of the ram, as in which one goes in which hole. Also, try a system restore by pressing F8 or go into the safe mode screen.

5 Posts

Did you mean memory card

5 Posts

I have a dell XPS 420 Vista windows, it will not start when I press power on the dell log will come on then  black screen and then it says intel (R) Matrix starage option ROM v7.6 .1.1001   ICH9R

Copyright (C) 2003-07 Intel corporation. All rights are Reserved.

A disk read error occurred

Press CTR+ ALT+DEL to restart

and when I do that the some massage comes up

I also get these Error code 0221

MSG Error code 2000-0221

Error code 0147

Msg  Error code 2000-0147

Help please I did disconnected from power 

disconnected every thing nothing happens

5 Posts

February 4th, 2012 17:00

I see 4 slots but I can not get them out

13 Posts

February 4th, 2012 19:00

Okay, lets start basics.

Do NOT try pulling them without opening the position holders. Follow the video. Please unplug your computer wait 10 seconds press the power button for 15 seconds then touch the outside of your case metal lining, then touch the inside of your computer, you dont want any static on you. Now, try resetting the ram. If you cant access system restore try logging into your account and running system restore, put in the os cd or enter safe mode.

5 Posts

February 4th, 2012 20:00

Thats what I did I removed the first 2 one had white tab and the other had white tub I did not the other 2 did not solve any problem

No Events found!