Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 23rd, 2012 12:00

Conflicting answers from Dell rep's on HD Radeon 7870 GPU upgrade to my xps 8500!

Ok, I'm a little confused as to what my options are.First here are my PC specs:

Dell XPS 8500

Intel i7 3770 

GeForce GT 620 GPU

24" 1080p @ 60 GHz Dell moniter

460 Watt power supply

Windows 8 

1 TB HD

As you can see a GPU upgrade is in definite order. After some exhaustive searching through these forums and elsewhere I've come to the conclusion that an AMD Radeon HD 7870 is an accepted upgrade to the XPS 8500 based on the fact that it was a optional upgrade during the build process when ordering as well as specific recommendations from Dell in these forums. I understand that the card requires a 500 watt minimum and my computer only has a 460 watt power supply. I can only speculate that Dell has tested and approved this set up. So I've ordered a Powercolor Radeon Hd 7870 to up grade my system.

Here's the problem: I got concerned that the the XPS 8500 only accepts a specific manufacturer's HD 7870 so I chatted online to a Dell representative this morning who not only told me that the Powercolor will not work, but also, the AMD Radeon HD 7870 will not work. I am really confused. Who is right and who is wrong. The Dell rep I chatted with also informed me that the power supply is not up-gradable (Of which i disagree). He also gave me a link to the generic list of GPU's dell offers on their website which was unhelpful.

I need some clarification on this. Has any one successfully/unsuccessfully  upgraded to any of these two GPU's with a similar configuration as mine? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

798 Posts

November 24th, 2012 17:00

Thanks HanoverB,

Here is the link to the PSU card I ordered. www.ncix.ca/products

I agree with Chris M's response too. Just frustrated by the lack of knowledge from the other rep. Should have just asked in these forums instead.

I appreciate your efforts!

AX7870 2GBD5-2DH is a reference card running at stock speeds and should work on the Dell PSU as it pulls ~175W from what I was able to research.

Here is a close-up of the back of the card and Powercolor is using the AMD PCB, so as long as there isn't a video bios issue (and there shouldn't be as Dell does support this Pitcairn XT card from Chris' list) it will probably work

Picture is from here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131467

I would say install it and give it a go!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 23rd, 2012 18:00

The XPS 8500 is built on the same chassis as the XPS 7100, and the power supply is definitely upgradeable with the latter.

As to your first question, I can't see why a 7870 wouldn't work if the power supply has two PCIe connectors.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 23rd, 2012 19:00

Dimebag1976,

The confusion stems from the fact that we can only suggest what we have tested. We have not tested retail video cards, only our OEM (original equipment manufacturer) video cards. Below are the Dell part numbers for the best cards -

DP6K3 AMD Radeon HD7870 Pitcairn XT DVI-I Dual Link/HDMI/Two Mini-Display Port
8TY6T AMD Radeon HD7770 Cape Verde XT DVI-I Dual Link/HDMI/Display Port
DX5MJ AMD Radeon HD7770 Cape Verde XT (Windows 8) DVI-I Dual Link/HDMI/Two Mini-Display Port

JCW0V Nvidia GeForce GTX660 D14P2-40 1.5GB DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/DisplayPort

12 Posts

November 23rd, 2012 20:00

Thank you for answering Chris-M.

I totally understand that only tested cards can be suggested as permissible upgrades. The problem I have is that the very card you just suggested (AMD Radeon HD7870) was the very same card, along with another (Powercolor Radeon HD 7870), according to the Dell representative I spoke both chatted and spoke to this morning, are not compatible with the xps 8500. Here is the chat log from this morning, I've deleted some personal information fro obvious reasons.

Now, who is right. He clearly states that neither the card I first asked about nor the AMD Radeon HD7870 that you've just reassured me works, is in fact incompatible with the xps 8500.

Session Started with Agent (Shivarama K)

Agent (Shivarama K): "Hi Dean"

Agent (Shivarama K): "Welcome to Dell Parts and Accessories Chat! My name is Shivaramakrishna (1800 289 3355 at extn. ) and my e mail id is . I am pleased to be your Dell.com Sales Chat Expert!. How can I assist you today?"

Agent (Shivarama K): "There are several instances where chats get disconnected (we don’t disconnect you on purpose), just in case this happens, what phone number can I reach you at?"

Dean: "I have some questions in regards to a GPU upgrade to my recently bought XPS 8500"

Agent (Shivarama K): "Sure. I would be happy to help you with that :)"

Dean: "phone # XXXXXXXXXX

Agent (Shivarama K): "Thank you for providing me your best call back number"

Dean: "I read on some dell forums that the xps 8500 will accept an AMD Radeon HD 7870. I is this correct?"

Agent (Shivarama K): "Sure. I would be happy to help you with that :)"

Agent (Shivarama K): "Let me check what best i can do for you"

Dean: "Thanks"

Dean: "Can you check out if it will accept a Powercolor Radeon HD 7870"

Agent (Shivarama K): "Sure"

Agent (Shivarama K): "may i know are you looking this gpu online"

Dean: "NCIX online"

Agent (Shivarama K): "May i have the link for this gpu"

Dean: "NCIX.com"

Dean: "Sorry on sec"

Agent (Shivarama K): "Not a problem"

Dean: "

Agent (Shivarama K): "Thank you"

Dean: "Do you want the specifications page?"

Agent (Shivarama K): "One moment please"

Dean: "Oh no. That was the wrong page Shivarama. Sorry! This is the correct one."

Dean: "

Agent (Shivarama K): "mean while i check this for you I see that we are running good deals on Wireless key board / Mouse / Cooling pad / speakers / lojack / carry case/ Memory Cards, Additional Batteries and printers would you like to purchase today"

Dean: "I don't need any of them but thanks anyway."

Agent (Shivarama K): "Thank you for waiting"

Dean: "No problem."

Agent (Shivarama K): "I see that this graphic card will not be compatible with 8500"

Agent (Shivarama K): "As the power will not support"

Agent (Shivarama K): "let me get the link for the correct graphic card"

Dean: "The power supply, you mean?"

Agent (Shivarama K): "I see that it is system power source"

Dean: "I don't understand ' system power source'. What is this."

Agent (Shivarama K): "I see that this system power source mean which supply power to your computer"

Dean: "You mean the 460 Watt power supply the computer comes with is not enough for the card?"

Agent (Shivarama K): "I see that this graphic card need the 500 watts"

Dean: "OK. Can you send me the link for correct card please?"

Agent (Shivarama K): "Sure one moment"

Agent (Shivarama K): "Here is the link for you"

Agent (Shivarama K): "

Dean: "Dell representatives have stated on line that the AMD Radeon HD 7870 is an accepted upgrade which also      has a 500 watt power requirement. Here is the link I read it in.

en.community.dell.com/.../20149864.aspx  Scroll down to Manpreet's comment

Agent (Shivarama K): "One moment let me check this for you"

Agent (Shivarama K): "Can you please provide the "service tag" . Service Tag is a 7 digit alpha numeric code which ends with "1""

Dean: "Where would this number be? On my PC?"

Dean: " "

Agent (Shivarama K): "Yes you will be able to find it on the tower"

Dean: " "

Dean: "No problem"

Agent (Shivarama K): "I see that your computer has 460 watts power supply and it will not support this particular video card"

Agent (Shivarama K): "Are we still connected ?"

Dean: "yes sorry"

Dean: "Either one?"

Dean: "Even the AMD Radeon HD7870"

Agent (Shivarama K): "I see that the link which you have given me will not support the link which i have give you will be compatible"

Dean: "You have to explain to me why, then, has Dell offered and shipped this xps 8500 model with the AMD Radeon 8500 already installed? And also recommends it as an upgrade. And you tell me no"

Agent (Shivarama K): "One moment"

Dean: "I don't understand"

Dean: "Who is wrong?"

Agent (Shivarama K): "may i have your best call back number so that i will call you right now"

Dean: "XXXXXXXXXX"

Dean: "XXXXXXXXXX"

Agent (Shivarama K): "thank you"

Dean: "Sorry the second # is correct"

Agent (Shivarama K): "Please allow 2-3 mints to call you"

Dean: "OK"

Agent (Shivarama K): "Are we still connected ?"

So I ask you Chris : Who is right and who is wrong? And more importantly, WHY?

Thanks

Dean

12 Posts

November 23rd, 2012 22:00

Hey

12 Posts

November 23rd, 2012 22:00

Hey Chris M. Thanks for the reply,

I understand that you can only suggest what Dell has tested. My problem lies in the fact that in my discussion this morning with another dell rep, I questioned if a Powercolor Radeon HD was compatible with  my xps 8500. The answer was no. And according to him, it was because the card required a 500 watt power supply and my xps 8500 only had 460.  I was a little confused. If he had said that it was because Dell had not tested that particular GPU, I would have left it at that. But I asked him why Dell could recommend an AMD Radeon HD7870 with the same 500 watt power supply requirements. I  sent a link to him to a page with a list, much like yours, from another rep that basically stated the same list. He told me that the AMD Radeon HD7870 is not compatible with the xps8500.

I tried to send the chat log in a previous post but it wouldn't let me. Said it needed to be approved first. Kinda weird. I would gladly post the chat log.

At any rate, someone is wrong. Either you or him. and judging on the statements in these forums  that Dell literally installs the AMD HD 7870 themselves and ships it to people, I think he was wrong. But I need to know for sure before I send my newly ordered GPU back and re-order the one that you say will work (and the other guy not).

My point is/was that I had a legitimate question about a Dell product and got two conflicting answers. What am I suppose to do?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 24th, 2012 00:00

Video card manufacturers are famous for overstating power supply requirements. If your power supply has two PCIe connectors, it should be adequate.

12 Posts

November 24th, 2012 09:00

Thanks rdunnill, I'll look into this.

798 Posts

November 24th, 2012 10:00

I would trust Chris M's response that the OEM 7870 will work even though you are pushing the limits of the stock Dell 460W PSU.

Read this thread and there is someone running the OEM 7870 with no problems.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19458767.aspx?PageIndex=2

The only issues you might run into with the Powercolor 7870

1) lack of incompatibility due to video bios issues

2)  if a non-reference design, if any pcb modifications for  overclocking or fan mods requires a PSU with more power.

What is the specific model of the Powercolor 7870 that is being delivered?

12 Posts

November 24th, 2012 12:00

Thanks HanoverB,

Here is the link to the PSU card I ordered. www.ncix.ca/products

I agree with Chris M's response too. Just frustrated by the lack of knowledge from the other rep. Should have just asked in these forums instead.

I appreciate your efforts!

12 Posts

February 11th, 2013 23:00

i bought xps 8500 special edition with amd hd7870 2gb ddr 5 works perfect if u get the one dell offers oem dont get aftermarket the oem version takes lesss power

No Events found!