Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

October 2nd, 2015 00:00

DELL models and motherboards

Please move as needed. I REALLY need help with this. This is an unusual question but I have no where else to turn. I NEED a list, hopefully a complete list, of desktop models that use the PROPRIETARY 24 plus 16 pin PSU, and a list of models that use the socket 423 system board which I understand is the first generation of the INTEL P4, Other socket types will work as long as it uses the same PSU and hopefully the same power board.switch that the OPTIPLEX GX400 uses. My goal is to find one or more of these boards as a COMPLETE unit, that is it would include, CPU, heat sink, memory,video card, audio card, nic card if needed. In other words a complete board taken from a working machine. The boards I currently have all give me the dreaded ORANGE LIGHT OF DEATH. No video, no diagnostic lights, no beep tones. NOTHING except the lit board light and running fan. Since these are raw boards I cannot determine the cause since there are too many possibilities. The hardware is all for these boards and were used in other desktops of the same models. Thoe desktops failed to the point it did not make sense to repair. This is how I made my parts pile. I would like a complete working board to eliminate the failures that filling the board with hardware seems to create. Anyone selling such boards welcome. I need to have this list so I can look for specific models. I know the GX1 and 110, both either PII or PIII towers use the same 24+16 pin PSU. That is probably a good starting point, bit I do not know if those boards would support a P4 CPU first generation. HELP PLEASE.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 2nd, 2015 01:00

GX400 uses proprietary 24 pin  330W power supply.  The GX1 and GX110 etc use proprietary 20 Pin 200W Power supply that's not the same.

Socket 423 Intel 850 chipset motherboards and GX400 use RDRAM which is not made for decades now.   Absolutely no reason why any of these single core Pentium 4 Wilamette systems are worth trying to get working.

http://www.911forpcs.com/gx400.html

Product Description

Dell Optiplex GX400 power supply

• Replacement power supply.

• 03E466 24RGY
  • PN NPS-330CB 24RGY 88PNP 03E466 3E466 PS-5251
  • This Replacement Substitute 400's Watt power supply also fits these Dell models: Dell Dimension 8100, PowerEdge 1300 & 2300. Precision Worsktation 330 & 420

12 Posts

October 2nd, 2015 07:00

The only reason I am doing this is that I have a supply of internal parts, my parts pile. I am trying to put a few of these together so I can give them away to seniors like myself or those who cannot afford a computer. For this use these users would be happy to have a free working computer good enough for basic use. Are these models the entire list of these parameter? I was told the 423 was the first generation of the P4. Correct? Only used for a short time?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 2nd, 2015 07:00

Yes but socket 423 systems used RDRAM and need CRIMM's for the empty socket.  GX400's also have proprietary Power supply and other parts that are neither easily found nor are they current enough to be of interest. Much newer Pentium 4 based chips can be had for very little.

Entire assembled and working units can be obtained with windows 7 for $100 which is the cost of the software alone.

Its like you are saying you have Hubcaps for a 1937 ford F150 and want to know the 23,542 parts that go into making that truck because you will be able to assemble it because you have the hub caps.  You may be able to do this but the cost of obtaining each part will be more than a used current ford F150.

The cost of ram and power supply and motherboard parts like fans and heatsink etc will be more than the cost of an assembled working system and that DOES NOT include windows which for these systems would be windows 98 or windows 2000 not even XP all of which are End of Life End of Support.

Memory
00KPD Rimm, 512, 400M, 256X18, Error Correction Code, 16C
3C964 PC800, non-ECC, Rimm, 512, 400M, 288X16
9578D Card (Circuit), Memory Board, CONTINUITY CRIMM

No Events found!