Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2009 14:00

DIM8200 post error message "Press F1 to continue, F2 to Setup Utility"

I have cleared NVRAM, then get the message, "Performing automatic IDE configuration......", then the message, "No boot device available, Press F1, et. al.".  When entering setup utility, it shows drive A as "not installed", and all the primary and secondary drives as, "unknown device".  Am assuming HD crashed?????

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 4th, 2009 15:00

Can I ask why you cleared NVRAM? And how did you clear it?

Drive A is the floppy drive. If you don't have an internal floppy drive, it should say "not installed". If you do have one, make sure  Diskette Interface is set to Auto in BIOS setup.

Primary Hard Drive 0 should be set to Auto in BIOS setup.

Primary Hard Drive 1 should be set to Off, unless you have a second hard drive.

Do you perhaps have a non-bootable CD in the optical drives?

Ron

EDIT: Bev types faster than I do! And it's an 8200. :emotion-4:

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 4th, 2009 15:00

Sharonf44

What was the reason for clearing the NVRAM?

The 'A' drive is a floppy drive.

Have you checked that all power and data cables are properly connected to the drives and motherboard.

If the hard drives are not recognized in the system setup, then it could be a failed hard drive.

It would help, to post the version of windows.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 5th, 2009 06:00

Sharonf44

If there is no difference after checking the cables, try running Dell diagnostics extended test on the hard drive, see HERE

Diagnostics can be run from the Drivers and Utilities Resource CD that was shipped with the PC.

Bev.

4 Posts

November 5th, 2009 06:00

In looking for a solution to my problem, I came upon a post in this community regarding clearing the NVRAM and when you should do so.   One of the reasons to clear it was when you have the POST error I have.  I was just letting you know what the "A" drive" said b/c one of the steps in clearing the NVRAM is to make sure the drive is set to "Not installed".   Primary Drive says "unknown device", as well as the Drive 1 and subsequents.   I had  the WINXP Home in the ROM drive, b/c I was trying to do a re-install.  Thanks for helping me.

4 Posts

November 13th, 2009 10:00

I have tried to run the Diagnostics from the Drivers and Utilities Resource CD, I have tried to download the diagnostics from the Dell 32 bit Diagnostics (Graphical User interface version), and I have tried to start the computer with a boot disc.  With the Drivers and Utilities CD, and with the boot disc, I get the same thing, as follows:

"Performing automatic IDE configuration...."

then,

"No boot device available -  strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility".

When I try to download the Dell 32 bit Diagnostics, I get the mesage:

"This will take 3 floppy discs".  I put in disc one and I get the message: "The floppy disc size and the image size does not match".  Then the only choice I have is to exit.

In the past, when I booted up, the computer would got through BIOS, now it goes straight to the screen that says, "Performing automatic, etc."

Can you help me from here?  I'm getting frustrated.  Thks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 13th, 2009 11:00

Sharonf44

As you are unable to run diagnostics, then the hard drive seems to have failed and you need to replace it and reinstall XP

The Dimension 8200 supports IDE, 3.5", 7200rpm, internal hard drives, these can be purchased from most local and online computer stores, check out the Western Digital and Seagate brands.

Bev.

4 Posts

This is what I have been thinking all along, but just wanted to give it every chance I could.  Thank you so much for your help.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Sharonf44

Happy to have helped.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 13th, 2009 12:00

Sharon,

With the Utilities CD in the drive and the drawer closed, did you press F12 before Windows starts to load and select Boot from CD?

If it really tried to boot from the CD, you shouldn't have gotten that no boot drive message. That suggests it was still trying to boot from the hard drive. So try again before rushing out to get a new drive, though Bev. is usually right about these things and you may need a new drive. But humor me...!

And it's still possible only the boot sector got damaged on this hard drive and that can be fixed, but you'll have to get it to boot from the CD first.

Ron

No Events found!