Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

February 21st, 2006 20:00

DVI, DVI-D Problem

Well, the Dimension 5150 with ATI Radeon X600 Hypermemory has has a DVI connector (not DVI-I, not DVI-D, per configuration page), and Dell monitors do have a DVI-D connector, and come with DVI-D to DVI-D cable. Catch is: a DVI-D connector (from monitor cable) does not plug into a DVI plug (at graphic card).

We were on phone with Dell Tech Support and Dell Customer Service whole afternone, they say you  did order on Internet, sorry we won't help you (up to now).

Not a single word on the Dell website, from Dell, in the order process, that monitor and computer does not match.
Peter

Message Edited by PeterSwiss on 02-23-2006 04:11 PM

381 Posts

My Dell 1905GP and its DVI cable did plug in to my daughter's E510 (5150) and its X600 card in the DVI connector.  Are you sure that you are using the correct cable?  Which monitor did you buy?  It runs great!  I ordered on internet also and had absolutely no problems hooking it up.  I have since upgraded to 6600GT and it worked just as well as the X600, which I am now using in a GX280.
David

Message Edited by lambdapro on 02-21-2006 04:25 PM

6.4K Posts

I'm having trouble understanding the problem.  All types of DVI connectors will mate with all the others provided they are the correct plug to jack combination.  I haven't seen this particular ati card, but the cards I have seen have DVI-I female connections.  This means they will take any of the three types of cable.  This is done so you can still connect to an analog monitor that has only the 15 pin VGA connector.  The video card often comes with an adapter to adapt the DVI-I connection to a VGA fitting.  If you have a DVI-D fitting, you can plug this into the video card provided you first remove the VGA adapter.  It should work as the DVI-I connection on the card has both digital and analog output.

Do you think you could describe the problem a bit better?

Thanks.

99 Posts

February 21st, 2006 21:00

Thank you for the horizontgal drawings from Wikipedia (and pacific cable I noticed before). They are far more logical than  the ones with the vertical slot (from the german site, and what I have seen at our Radeon X600 hypermemory). I really would expect a DVI-D to mate into a DVI-I from the outside thinking.

How comes? Do we have a different DVI-I in Europe????

Message above Edited by PeterSwiss on 02-21-2006 05:27 PM

I consider the thought of a defective graphics card, i.e. built to defective specifications. But I'll check again with glasses and very good light. Perhaps more force is needed to apply the plug.

Message Edited by PeterSwiss on 02-21-2006 05:48 PM

99 Posts

My Dell 1905GP and its DVI cable

I did not find the 1905GP on Dell's website, I also tried to obtain documentation but did not succeed. I only found an 1905 FP which is not digital. Can you give me a link to either the manual or the product page.

381 Posts

The Dell 1905FP (and I assume the 1907FP) monitors come with two cables, VGA and DVI-D, so one would not need an adapter to fit the DVI-D cable into a DVI-I connector on the X600 card.  Which it has.

David

6.4K Posts

Your drawings explain it perfectly.  The only connectors I have seen all have horizontal slots as per this site:

Thanks very much for the information, though it doesn't solve your problem.

Is it possible there is an adapter?

381 Posts

That DVI-I in the link is not what the DVI-I looks like on my ATI Radeon X600 256 Mb PCIEx16 card.  The DVI-I link should have the horizontal bar plus the four "dots".  Here is a real link to a definition showing the real DVI-I:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI

Again, a piece of cake to hook up.  Almost idiot-proof.  The advantage of the DVI-I on the video card (LIKE YOU HAVE) is that you can put on an adapter and run the 15 pin VGA from it also.

David

99 Posts

The monitor is a 1907FP.
Currently we are connected analogically, but would prefer digitally as we bought DVI monitor and computer in one order.

All types of DVI connectors will mate with all the others provided they are the correct plug to jack combination.  Provided it is correct it will mate, that's obvious, and always was. But DVI connectors to not mate, see the drawing at

http://www.hifi-regler.de/dvi/dvi.php?SID=9a7ae1b86568ed424af7c1dc6969b5ec

(in german, but scroll to the drawings low on the page).

If you have a DVI-D fitting, you can plug this into the video card provided you first remove the VGA adapter.  This does not work. There is no VGA adapter, DVI-D does not have analog signals anyway, and does not plug into the VGA plug.

Do you think you could describe the problem a bit better? Not really, but I can repeat it.

The DVI-D connector of the cable does not plug into the DVI-I plug of the graphics card, because the horizontal prong of the DVI-D connector is blocked from the DVI plug of the graphics card. The DVI-I plug has a vertical "female" receiptable at the position where the DVI-D connector has is horizontal prong. See link

http://www.hifi-regler.de/dvi/dvi.php?SID=9a7ae1b86568ed424af7c1dc6969b5ec

(in german, but scroll to the drawings low on the page).

I hope for better solution.

381 Posts

February 21st, 2006 23:00

I will tell you that I am grinning just a little.  Because I was having trouble putting the cable in and my kids said, "Dad, you've got it in upside down."  So, tonight I just now attached it with my eyes closed.  ;-)  Peter, I know you can do it!
David

99 Posts

February 22nd, 2006 07:00

I'll do my best.

99 Posts

February 23rd, 2006 17:00

I finally was able to connect. The connector is more difficult to adjust than what I'm used too. But DVI-D plugs into DVI as it is supposed to be.
Peter

1 Message

February 28th, 2006 20:00

I just bought a DELL ULTRASHARP 1905FP 19" LCD monitor.  The DVI-D cable is for a single link, but the port on the monitor is shaped like it's for a dual link.  I'm going to have to buy a new video card to get DVI, and want to know -- does the monitor take a dual link signal?  And if so, why did Dell only include a single-link cable?  If the monitor takes a dual link signal, then I have to buy a whole nother cable. 

Need info soon so I can get back to using my desktop.

Thanks anyone who can help.

3.9K Posts

March 1st, 2006 13:00

The 1905 does NOT need a dual link DVI video card. Almost no monitors do, aside from super high resolution screens like Dell's 30" panel.

Just use the included DVI cable to connect to any DVI port on a video card.

If you don't have a DVI port, you don't need one, just use the VGA cable. (DVI will be slightly sharper, but many people can't even tell the difference.)

July 13th, 2007 09:00

Hi Peter, I've more or less your same problem

I just buyed:

Monitor: FP/BL 2007WFP Swiss - Ultrasharp 20" Wide flat panel (TCO99) DVI-D

Graphic Card: 256MB Nvdia GeForce 7900GS ( 2xDVI, 1xS-Video) output

But I'm not able to connect the ports with the cable provided by Dell. They send me too a conversor schwitch DVI to VGA and now I'm using my super monitor with VGA. What a waste of money!!!!

How did you resolved that problem?
Maybe somebody else could help me?

July 13th, 2007 11:00

Upppsss.

:smileyvery-happy: I just read the forum to the end... and THAT's RIGTH DVI-D plug into DVI. Just try!

Sorry.
No Events found!