Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

October 22nd, 2008 19:00

Dell DE051 Series BIOS Update?

My Service Tag says my system is an OptiPlex GX280, but when I reboot the BIOS says it's a Dell DE051 Series BIOS version A01. Where can I get the updated BIOS for this system? If I have the website try and find it, the BIOS it finds (Dell OptiPlex System BIOS version A08) says it's incompatible with the DE051 system...

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 22nd, 2008 21:00

I don't know what a DE051 is, but there should be some type of model tag on the front of the tower.  "DE" may mean "Dimension" .  e.g. I have a Dimension E510 and there is a label on the front of the tower with that.

A general comment on BIOS updates.  They should only be installed if the BIOS either fixes a problem you are having or will support new hardware that you want to install.  Otherwise "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies.  If you have an error while updating the BIOS and it's corrupted the only recourse is to replace the motherboard.

5 Posts

October 22nd, 2008 23:00

I do have new hardware. Base on my service tag, Dell told me that I could add a SATA drive to my system, so I bought one. Unfortunately, when I went to install the drive I found out that this system doesn't come with SATA on the motherboard. So I had to buy an add-in card. This is why I need to update the BIOS. When I boot, I get a BIOS error stating all it can find is the DVD on the IDE bus. If I hit continue, however, it will boot just fine from the SATA drive. But from within Windows XP, any DVD burning software can't find the DVD...
Message Edited by tim8w on 10-22-2008 05:35 PM

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2008 09:00

But, what is the Model number.  I can research it and see if there is an update.  Sometimes using the model number rather than the Service Tag can produce different or more options. 

But, Dell will not issue an update to support the SATA card, if that's what you are looking for.

2.4K Posts

October 23rd, 2008 10:00

@fireberd wrote:

I don't know what a DE051 is, but there should be some type of model tag on the front of the tower.  "DE" may mean "Dimension" .  e.g. I have a Dimension E510 and there is a label on the front of the tower with that.

A general comment on BIOS updates.  They should only be installed if the BIOS either fixes a problem you are having or will support new hardware that you want to install.  Otherwise "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies.  If you have an error while updating the BIOS and it's corrupted the only recourse is to replace the motherboard.

Hi fireberd

DE051 is a Dell Dimension 1100:smileywink:

From Chris

My computer
Dell Dimension 1100
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3
512 MB of Ram
Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 256MB
Intel Celeron CPU 2.53GHz
Dell E196FP
HDD WDC WD800BB-75JHCO 80GB C:
HDD Samsung SV2042H 20GB F:
TSSTcorp CDRWDVD TS-H492C D:
LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-851S E:
Linksys Wireless-G WUSB54GS With SpeedBooster
Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 90
Logitech Cordless Click Plus Rechargeable Optical Mouse
Mozilla Firefox 3.0.3
Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2

My Security Software
Avanquest SystemSuite 8 Professional
Windows Defender

5 Posts

October 23rd, 2008 13:00

helmecj01,

Is there another way to get the specs you listed. Like I said earlier, my Service Tag says its an Optiplex, which clearly it is not. It has no Sata and the memory layout and requirements are completeley different than the Optiplex...

2.4K Posts

October 23rd, 2008 13:00

Hi

Technical Specifications of the Dell Dimension 1100

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

DELL OPTIPLEX GX280 MOTHERBOARD

http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?ic=MB4DELG5611&eq=&Tp=

From Chris

My computer
Dell Dimension 1100
512 MB of Ram
Dell E196FP
Mozilla Firefox 3.0.3

My Security Software
Windows Defender

5 Posts

October 23rd, 2008 14:00

helmecj01,

Can you get me a link to the BIOS update for the Dell Dimension 1100? When I try it will only take me to the OptiPlex BIOS update page...

Thanks,

Tim

2.4K Posts

October 23rd, 2008 14:00

@tim8w wrote:

helmecj01,

Can you get me a link to the BIOS update for the Dell Dimension 1100? When I try it will only take me to the OptiPlex BIOS update page...

Thanks,

Tim

Hi

no more BIOS uprdate for Dell Dimension 1100 and A01 is least BIOS.

From Chris

My computer
Dell Dimension 1100
512 MB of Ram
Dell E196FP
Mozilla Firefox 3.0.3

My Security Software
Windows Defender

5 Posts

October 23rd, 2008 15:00

fireberd,

Again I do have new hardware. Since my service tag says I have an OptiPlex, Dell told me I could add a SATA Drive. I bought it only to find out that I don't really have an OptiPlex, but as Chris points out, I have a Dell Dimension 1100. So I purchased a SATA PCI card and moved everything over to this drive. Now when I boot, the BIOS stops and tells me tht it can only find the DVD drive on the EIDE bus, which is true, the new HD is on the new SATA Card. If I choose to continue, it boots into Windows XP just fine. I can live with the BIOS message, if everything else worked OK, but it doesn't. ANY DVD burning software I try, cannot find the DVD. Windows is OK with it, it will paly a DVD if I put one in it...

Back to my original problem. I figured that if I could get an updated BIOS that recognizes the new SATA drive, maybe everything would work fine in Windows as well. Although, it looks like Chris has found out that Dell didn't make any new BIOS versions for this Motherboard. So I guess I'm stuck with this messed up system. Is it worthwhile to try and find some kind of EIDE to SATA converter of some kind?

Thanks,

Tim

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2008 15:00

Thanks, Chris. 

In reference to BIOS updates - any model PC.  BIOS updates, if available, should only be installed if the update solves a problem you are having or supports new hardware that you plan to install.  Otherwise the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies, especially if you try to update the BIOS and it fails and corrupts the BIOS as the ONLY option is to replace the motherboard.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2008 19:00

The 1100 is limited on what hardware it can support.  Another problem is that some brands of boards will work and some will not, but I can't give you what will and won't as it varies. 

One option, if you don't want to buy a PATA (IDE) drive is to buy a USB enclosure for the SATA drive and connect it to the PC via USB.   But, a new PATA CD/DVD burner drive will be just about the same price.  It may be better to bite the bullet and just buy a correct PATA (IDE) drive and try to sell the SATA drive. 

I don't know where you are located but here is one Lite ON PATA drive for $22.99 US from the newegg site.  

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 1st, 2010 07:00

DE051 is a Dimension 1100/B110

No Events found!