Highlighted
doggert
Copper

Dell Diagnostics Error Message : Memory Compare Error

Anybody ever have a similar situation, please tell me what steps you took to determine whether it was the RAM or another hardware issue? BTW my machine is a E510 with Pentium D 820 2.8GHZ and it has 1 GB of Dell Branded RAM (PC2 4200 533MHZ.

Message Edited by doggert on 06-01-2007 08:41 PM
0 Kudos
5 Replies
PETER345
Diamond

Re: Dell Diagnostics Error Message : Memory Compare Error

Sure sounds like a memory error. If you want to confirm, try memtest86+ or the Microsoft Windows memory tester. Both are free and considered better than Dell diagnostics.

Peter
0 Kudos
doggert
Copper

Thanks, I wasn't aware of Microsoft having a memory tester; Memtest86+ results pointed to my ram in the 1st slot, I guess I will have to return it to dell for a new ram stick.
0 Kudos
PETER345
Diamond

Dell tends to respond very well when you give them an error code from their own diagnostics so make sure you reference the error code when getting a replacement.

Peter
0 Kudos
doggert
Copper

Ran MS Window Memory tester and also had errors, Dimm_1 showed 7 errors. I switched my memory modules (2X512)from 1 to 2, vice versa and ran the tests and it also resulted in failed tests; is it possible that both sticks could be damaged or is it because of the dual channel that it will show errors in Dimm_1? Luckily I had just received my 2 sticks of new RAM and replaced the Dell Branded pair, and what do you know I ran memtest86+, MS Windows Memory Tester, and Dell Diagnostics and everything was now error free. I have to run a test on each Dell Branded memory stick and make sure they are both damaged so that I can send them back. Thanks for the help Peter.
0 Kudos
PETER345
Diamond

The best way to check each stick is to test them independently, but you could also have errors that only appear in dual channel mode. Sounds like it might be a good idea to return them both if there is any question.

Peter
0 Kudos