Highlighted
Charles1776
Bronze

Dell Dimension 2400 Video Driver

Jump to solution

I have recently installed Windows 7 on my Dell Dimension 2400 and it appears to be working satisfactorly EXCEPT that the video

graphics is large pixalated and the colors are horriable.  I have tried installing the old Windows xp driver for the E171FPb Monitor

but have not been succesfull  in getting it recognized.  I have searched the internet and found a driver on Intel (win2k_xp1410.exe)

and it fails because it does not like the OS.  I know some people claim to have successuflly loaded a driver using something called the compatability

mode.  I have not been able to make that work either.  I do not want to go back to Windows XP so any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
jackshack
Diamond

Re: Dell Dimension 2400 Video Driver

Jump to solution

The Dimension 2400 has an 845GV chipset.  Intel has stated that no Windows 7 drivers will be released for the 845 family; Older Intel Graphics Controllers and Windows 7.  The most expedient route in this case is to find a suitable PCI graphics card for which a Windows 7 driver is available.  Once example can be found here:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130466

Dell Forum member since 2005

0 Kudos
shesagordie
Diamond

Jump to solution

Charles1776

For Windows 7, it's best to install a PCI video card, instead of trying to use the integrated graphics.

Check out the discussion HERE

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
speedstep
Diamond

Jump to solution

The Geforce 8400 is available in PCI.

The Best Card out there is Geforce 9500 PCI.  It will be 4 X faster than a geforce 8400.

http://www.jaton.com/vga/graphics_card_detail.php?pid=32

Jaton Video Card VIDEO-498PCI-DLP
NVIDIA Geforce 9500GT 1GB DDR2
Stream Processors    32
Memory Clock  800MHz
Memory Interface    128-bit
Memory Type    DDR2

You need 32 bit 33mhz PCI 2.3 card.

NVIDIA Geforce 8400GS 512 meg DDR2
Stream Processors    8
Memory Clock  800MHz
Memory Interface    64-bit
Memory Type    DDR2

Nvidia Geforce 9500GT Pci 1GB DDR2 2PORT Dvi HDtv Low Profile

List Price: $106.00
Price: $93.96 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details

Sparkle GeForce 8400GS 512 MB DDR3 PCI with Native HDMI Graphics Card SFPC84GS512U2LP

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
rdunnill
Diamond

Jump to solution

Here is a modern PCI card with native HDMI and onboard audio, only $45: www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_3

0 Kudos
shesagordie
Diamond

Jump to solution

Charles1776

When buying a PCI video card, Dell installed either a 200w, or 250w power supply in the Dimension 2400, you might need to upgrade the power supply, depending on the video card's requirements that's purchased.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
rdunnill
Diamond

Jump to solution

I think the 8400GS is thrifty enough, power-wise, to work with a 200-watt power supply. The same could be said of the 4350 PCI.

0 Kudos
muto
Platinum

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
Diamond

Jump to solution

Well using the PCI card will be the best step forward if you can get one for relatively cheap. It will give you the best video performance possible on this machine.

The method muto suggested may work, although he/she does not need to disregard other peoples help in such a negative way. I will expand on it slightly.

As for windows update.

Start>All Programs>Windows Update

Look for optional updates that might have to do with you're system devices such as graphics.

You have the Dell XP drivers. If you download and install 7zip (32 bit .msi file).

Then you may create a new folder on the desktop or on the C: drive. Copy the drivers from the dell website (R96001, R106456, R79733 & R86399) into it.

Left click the arrow beside display adaptors, right click your device and select update driver software...

Select browse my computer for driver software and select the folder on the desktop or c: drive where you put the drivers in.

Then reboot. See if things are any better.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
rdunnill
Diamond

Jump to solution

$45 is not unreasonable if it can postpone the purchase of a new PC for two or three years.

Not only will the 8400GS allow for use of the monitor's native resolution, it will enable smooth playback of video, streaming or otherwise, which may be a big plus to the OP.

0 Kudos