Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

December 19th, 2009 13:00

Dell Dimension 300; currently 512MB. I want to upgrade memory to 1GB

It is recommended by Dell that installation of memory modules is done in matched pairs.  Therefore, rather than buying just one 512MB module it is recommended that I buy two 512MB modules; which will go in the two memory slots - DIMM3 and DIMM4. 

1. I suppose that I could remove the computer cover to answer my own question, however, I want to ask whether the current 512MB of RAM on my computer is made up of two 256MB memory modules or one 512MB memory module? 
  2. Which memory slots are the two 256MB memory modules or one 512MB memory module situated? 
  3. If there is just the one 512MB memory module do I need to remove and discard this, and then fit the new two 512MB memory modules?

Any help and assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

4.4K Posts

December 19th, 2009 13:00

There is no Dimension 300 that I am aware of.  There is a Dimension 3000, and it only has two memory slots.  In any event, I recommend you go to www.crucial.com and run the Scan My System to determine what you now have and recommendations to upgrade.

6 Posts

December 19th, 2009 14:00

Sorry, I meant Dell Dimension 3000.  Thanks for the advice.  I'll check out www.crucial.com now.  Thanks again.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 19th, 2009 14:00

It is recommended by Dell that installation of memory modules is done in matched pairs.  Therefore, rather than buying just one 512MB module it is recommended that I buy two 512MB modules; which will go in the two memory slots - DIMM3 and DIMM4. 

1. I suppose that I could remove the computer cover to answer my own question, however, I want to ask whether the current 512MB of RAM on my computer is made up of two 256MB memory modules or one 512MB memory module? 
  2. Which memory slots are the two 256MB memory modules or one 512MB memory module situated? 
  3. If there is just the one 512MB memory module do I need to remove and discard this, and then fit the new two 512MB memory modules?

Any help and assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Olympian

There is no way to second guess what Dell installed, I recommend that you open the case, to check what memory modules Dell installed. or check in the system setup [BIOS]  :emotion-5:

Bev.

4 Posts

December 19th, 2009 15:00

its gonna have two 256mb sticks.  I just attempted to upgrade to 2gb (two 1gig sticks) which shouldnt be a problem but after installing the new memory i have a Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:   /WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM  so after re-installing the origional memory im trying to figure out whats goin on.  I was thinkin about droping a water balloon in the case a couple minutes ago... but decided to see if anyone else was havin some issues and  or usefull information instead.

Thanks and good luck 

6 Posts

December 19th, 2009 15:00

Thanks Skedzatz.  Good luck in sorting out the issue that you're having with Windows.

1 Message

August 20th, 2010 20:00

hey mate yeah im haveing the EXACT same problem i know this is probls ages after u did something about it  but im curious did reinstalling the windows work or not???

4 Posts

August 21st, 2010 10:00

As it turned out the memory I had was mispackaged >.< after getting the correct memory installed everything was thumbs up.

No Events found!