Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 4th, 2006 21:00

Dell Dimension 3000 - Slow and freezing

Hi,

Please can someone help,

Lately i'v noticed that my dimension 3000 has become slow in loading up programmes and when for example i click onto the start tap and right click onto a programme it takes absolutely ages for the window to open that is if i'm lucky ortherwise it freezes and won't let me click on anything else - i hace to press control +alt + delete and close the computer down?? why is this happening??
Also when i go to add or remove programmes and try to remove them i get a message saying ... file does not exist cannot remove- so why is it still displayed in the list and how can i get rid of it.??

prior to all this i've performed some system restore operations to try and clean up my hard drive as i've been downloading and then deleting.

please help thanks in advance

ps if i do a pc restore will i have to install windows xp components as i know reinstalling xp has caused/ causes unexpected computer errors .

12.1K Posts

August 5th, 2006 07:00

Below procedure will provide a faster boot up, and eliminate wasting memory on programs that are not in use at this time……

Start Up Programs: Click on START, Click on Run, than put in the box MSCONFIG Click OK. Now you are in the System Configuration Utility Program. Click on START UP you see on the top of this Utility Program. Uncheck the programs from here that you do not want to start at boot up, leaving the anti virus, and any third party firewall alone. You can always go back into this program to restart them. They will not be uninstalled. Click on APPLY, than it will ask you if you wish to reboot the system. Do so. After it boots up again, you will be presented with another window from the System Configuration Utility Program telling you that you have made an adjustment. If you don't want to see this pop up each time you boot up, put a check mark in the little box in the lower left corner of this announcement.

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php  Link to a site that can explain what you have starting up, if you do not already know, and which ones you can safely un-check. It’s a long list.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20  Must have free downloads for our computers security.

Defrag the Hard Drive / Run two spyware programs / update and run the anti virus software / Empty the trash can often / Have at least 512 mb of ram if not 1 gb...

If by chance you did not uninstall the program that you did install by the Add/Remove program, or with the programs own uninstaller, and just right click the icon to deleted it, than you may get that warning message that states the file does not exist if later you tried the Add/Remove program way.  You always, always must use either the programs uninstaller or the Add/Remove program to uninstall any program, not just right click on it, and delete it.   If that is what you did. 

Over time, if you install, and uninstall programs, your Registry may get corrupted, and slow things down.   Uninstalling the improper way may slow your system down as well. 

Spyware that installed itself on your system from the internet also is a source of glitch's that slows the system.   Not having at least 512 mb of main memory is again another reason for some slow downs.  Windows XP likes at least 512 mb of memory and if you do not have a dedicated video card, but just the integrated chip instead, this integrated video chip will take some of your main memory to run the monitor, giving you even less memory for everything else....

38 Posts

August 5th, 2006 12:00

Blimey ...... that was quick. !! thanks will download them in a sec and get rid of mcafee( i'm de fragmenting at the mo)

12.1K Posts

You should use two spyware programs, so if one does not do the complete job, than the other might...Keep the link I gave you for later, when you get to know more about computers and software that may help you get the bugs out.....  Good luck

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Ad-Aware_SE_Personal_d506.html   AD-Ware anti spyware

http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpyBot-Search_&_Destroy_d2471.html   Another spyware program to us.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2859   SpyBlaster another good one

-----------------------------------------------

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=886   AVG is a free Anti virus software. If you are using Nortons or McAfee, than those are two of the most resouce hogs and will slow your system up, unless you have a fast computer, which you do not...

38 Posts

Thank you SR45 for going to all that trouble and for all the information. I'm not sure what to download from the second link - could you suggest the best download from it.

Thanks xx 

12.1K Posts

August 5th, 2006 17:00

Good luck to you.  Hope some of the suggestions work.  If not, later on you may want to take the plunge and reformat and reinstall windows.  At some point you may have to.  Not difficult but time consuming..  

10 Posts

August 8th, 2006 01:00

I need help with my Dimension 3000. I want to restore my system to the point like it was the day it arrived on my doorstep but I don't know how. I did it to my laptop but I can't seem to figure it out on my desktop. Please help if you can. Thank you!

4 Posts

November 30th, 2006 22:00

I too am running into a slow boot up on my Dimension 3000 with XP.  I have 50.2mg free of a 71.3 capacity, I've run defrag, mcafee anti virus, registry patrol, spyware killer, corrected errors, cleaned temp files, went into msconfig and checked off everything I could to not load at boot up and still it takes 1-2 minutes to boot up and dog slow.

I believe this started when I began uploading pictures from my digital camera -- anyone experiencing the same problems?

11.9K Posts

November 30th, 2006 22:00

Cindyfawn wrote:
I too am running into a slow boot up on my Dimension 3000 with XP.  I have 50.2mg free of a 71.3 capacity, I've run defrag, mcafee anti virus, registry patrol, spyware killer, corrected errors, cleaned temp files, went into msconfig and checked off everything I could to not load at boot up and still it takes 1-2 minutes to boot up and dog slow.

I believe this started when I began uploading pictures from my digital camera -- anyone experiencing the same problems?

You're adding to a 4 month old post...

Assuming you mean 50.2GB (not MB), several things to observe.

1) Registry cleaners often mess things up. 

2) Have you run diagnostics on the hard drive?

3) What's plugged into your usb ports?

4) Is it looking for a network drive that isn't there?

10 Posts

November 30th, 2006 23:00

I am sorry to say, I finally had to have my computer taken to a computer shop.  They couldn't find what was wrong so they just cleaned it out.  It is running great now but it cost me $75 but I think it was worth it.  A new computer would be easily 10 times that much.

4 Posts

December 2nd, 2006 22:00

1.  Shoot and I thought I was doing a good thing with Registry Patrol!
2.  Not sure how to get the diagnostics to run - have tried several times with no success.
3.  Not sure what's plugged into my USB port - I download pics from my camera once in a while, have a HP officejet V40 printer (which I've had for years), and a Verizon modem (have had for 2 years).
4.  How do I know if it's looking for a network drive that isn't there?
Here I thought I was pretty PC savvy, but you just blew me away.
Your guidance is greatly appreciated.

10 Posts

Please don't let my lack of computer knowledge worry you.  One thing I can say is if you want an error on your computer then I'm your chick.  lol   I took mine to the shop because I didn't want to make it any worse than I already did.

4 Posts

Thanks, I'll probably end up doing the same thing.

11.9K Posts

December 2nd, 2006 23:00

Cindyfawn wrote:
1.  Shoot and I thought I was doing a good thing with Registry Patrol!
2.  Not sure how to get the diagnostics to run - have tried several times with no success.

Reboot, hit F12 at the Dell screen, and pick diagnostics.

3.  Not sure what's plugged into my USB port - I download pics from my camera once in a while, have a HP officejet V40 printer (which I've had for years), and a Verizon modem (have had for 2 years).

Well, you can go look...  :smileywink:  Sometimes a usb device can make it hang.

4.  How do I know if it's looking for a network drive that isn't there?

Did you ever set it up to work on a home network and share drives?

Here I thought I was pretty PC savvy, but you just blew me away.
Your guidance is greatly appreciated.

4 Posts

December 3rd, 2006 16:00

Thanks so much for your help!
No Events found!