Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2010 04:00

Dell Dimension 3100 Audio driver question concerning s/pdif

Hello there.

I have just recently joined up to thins forum in the hopes of finding some answers.

I have some 5.1 speakers and i wish to set up surround sound for my computer using s/pdif, but I can't figure out how to do it.

I have the Sigmatel C-Major HD Audio driver installed and I'm running Windows XP on a Dell Dimension 3100.

Now I do know that my computer doesn't have s/pdif output but I've read on numerous forums that it is possible to get s/pdif output using the mic in and line in ports. Although I havn't been able to find out how using the sigmatel audio driver.

So I was just wondering if it is in fact possible to do this on my machine? or do I have to go and buy a new sound card?

Thanks

Larry

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 15th, 2010 16:00

S/PDIF is a DIGITAL signal, not a standard analog audio signal.  In addition many S/PDIF outputs are only two channel stereo, not 5.1 surround.  With the PC you have and the Sigmatel sound, your ONLY option to get S/PDIF is to install a PCI sound card that has that capability. 

I've worked in electronics and computers since before there were PC's and the info you got about the mic in/line out to convert to S/PDIF is false.  That has nothing to do with generating S/PDIF digital.

The 3100 has one PCIeX1 expansion connector and two PCI expansion connectors.  One sound card that has S/PDIF to look at is the HTO Striker 7.1  HERE.

What surrond sound speakers do you have?  Not all will interface directly to S/PDIF, most have to be connected to a surround sound amplifier or are analog 5.1 surround sound speakers, not digital.

No Events found!