Highlighted
Mazy1
Bronze

Dell Dimension 4550 wont turn on

My Dimension 4550 is having trouble turning on. The light on the motherboard is on, so I know it's getting power, but when I press the pwoer button nothing happens. please help.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
ejn63
Diamond

Re: Dell Dimension 4550 wont turn on

Anything showing on the diagnostic LEDs on the back panel (ABCD, amber/green)?
0 Kudos
Mazy1
Bronze

Are those LEDs on the motherboard? if so, then there is one on that's green. otherwise, there doesnt seem to be any lights on anywhere else.
0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

On the back of the system near the printer port, there should be four diagnostic LEDs.
0 Kudos
Mazy1
Bronze

oh. I see those, but none are on.
0 Kudos
dageezerus
Diamond

First thing I'd try is removing all the PCI cards, then see if the system will power on. 

If it comes up, try adding cards back one at a time & find the bad card. 

If not, then it is either the power supply (Just because the MB LED is on, doesn't mean the P/S is good) or the motherboard.

If under warranty, call 1-800-624-9896  if not get a new power supply  1-800-372-3355 is Dell Spare parts

Donald K

Inspiron E1505 Windows 10 / XPS 10 Windows RT

Dimension 8400 Windows 7/8

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Mazy1
Bronze

thanks for the help. I took out all the PCI cards like you said, and it still doesnt turn on. Im pretty sure the warranty ran out about a month ago, so it seems im gonna need either a new PS, or a new motherboard.
0 Kudos
TTetpos
Silver

Sounds like the same thing has happened to my 8200.  The ABCD lights in the back panel are not even on.  I do have an amber power light in the front.  Is yours also showing an amber light?

Now, I just have a gigantic paper weight sitting on my desk.
0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

Replace the power supply before trying any other new parts.
0 Kudos