Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 30th, 2007 22:00

Dell Dimension 4700 won't start up - no diagnostic lights

My Dimension 4700 froze and when I tried to reboot it would not start. There is a flashing yellow light next to the power button when I try to turn it on. None  of the diagnostic lights are on and there is a green light on the mother board. Is this problem a power supply problem? How do you test the power supply?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 30th, 2007 22:00

mstkelly

Is the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber?

What is the reading of the diagnostic LEDs on the back panel? 

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and if power supply fan and hard drive runs, then the PSU should be good.

Note= Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

6 Posts

December 1st, 2007 00:00

The light is blinking amber. When I jumped the wires the hard drivev ran but the fan did not run.

6 Posts

December 1st, 2007 00:00

Before I jumped the wires, sometimes I got the amber light blinking and sometimes I only got a green light when I held the power button.
Right now I get an amber quickly changing to green when I press and hold the power button and when I let go of the button it goes out then blinks amber once quickly then nothing.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 1st, 2007 02:00

mstkelly

Have you checked that all the power cables are properly connected, by removing and reseating them.

Which fan is not running, the case fan or the power supply fan?

As the Power supply seems to check out and the system still does not work, again remove power cord, hold power button in to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, then check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, except the power cable, power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes or no diagnostic lights on the back panel, then it would appear that motherboard has died.

Bev.

6 Posts

December 1st, 2007 10:00

neither fan worked when I jumped the green to black wires, only the hard drive ran. I will try the mother board and let know what happens. Thanks

6 Posts

December 1st, 2007 11:00

disconnected everything and no beeps or lights except the power green light while holding the button. Is it worth replacing the mother board or should I just go with a new computer. I'd hate to spend alot of money on a new computer and I'd hate to toss a computer because it seems so enviromentally wrong but if it doesn't make economical sense I'd buy new.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 1st, 2007 20:00

mstkelly

If the power supply fan does not work, then that could indicate a bad power supply. Try installing different PSU first, because to check the motherboard, you need a known working power supply.

Bev.

Message Edited by shesagordie on 12-01-2007 04:19 PM

6 Posts

December 2nd, 2007 01:00

Bev
Thanks very much. I swapped out the PSU and everything works great now.
Mark

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 2nd, 2007 02:00

Mark.

That's great, pleased to hear the problem is resolved. :)

Bev.

2 Posts

August 22nd, 2010 11:00

Hi Bev, thanks much for the help. The jump trick worked and now the fan comes on. I've got none of the LED lights however. Based on what your earlier post it sounds like the motherboard.

Dave

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 22nd, 2010 12:00

cyz4rds

I'll assume that you have a dimension 4700.

Yep, it sure does sound like the motherboard.

Is the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber, or off?

Did you also, check to see if the hard drive worked?

Bev.

1 Message

December 11th, 2014 09:00

I have a Dell Dimension 4700, and I just ran all the tests you suggested. My PSU is working fine, power button blinks yellow, no diagnostic lights. It runs for about exactly 30 seconds then stops. 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 11th, 2014 11:00

I have a Dell Dimension 4700, and I just ran all the tests you suggested. My PSU is working fine, power button blinks yellow, no diagnostic lights. It runs for about exactly 30 seconds then stops. 

sommruth

Could be motherboard failure..

Are there any 'Beeps'?

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on, if power supply, case fans and the hard drive run, then the PSU may be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If there is no difference in the diagnostic lights, 'Beep' codes and/or the LED indication of the power button, then it would appear that the motherboard has died and/or maybe the processor.

Note: The good news is, processors rarely fail, as the only method I know of checking a processor, is to install it a compatible working PC, or use a known working processor.

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-4700_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

No Events found!