Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2010 13:00

Dell Dimension 5150 - "No Audio Device"

Hi Guys,

I know I am brand new to this forum but I would appreciate your help! I have had my Dell Dimension 5150 desktop to about 3 years now, and around a month ago the sound stopped working. I reinstalled the drivers for the Soundblaster Audigy card but that made no difference. The ondboard audio does not work either, although when running the Dell Diagnostics on startup sound does come through the speakers, but not when windows XP is loaded. In the "sound and audio devices" section of control panel it says "No audio device" yet when I go into device manager there are no errors.

Any help would be appreciated. I know there is likely information I have left out so please ask!

Many thanks,

Lloyd

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 9th, 2010 15:00

I have an E510 which is identical to the 5150.

You can only have one sound device, either the SigmaTel integrated audio or the SoundBlaster, but not both.  If you want to use the SoundBlaster, disable the Integrated Audio in the BIOS (F2 - setup).  Two sound devices and they will conflict and neither can work.

After you decide which you want to use (if you want to use the SigmaTel, physically remove the SoundBlaster), uninstall the other device in the Device Manger - RIGHT click on the sound device to highlight it and then LEFT click on "Uninstall". Then restart the PC and when Windows starts it will detect and reinstall the sound. 

Post back on whether this fixes it or not., 

8 Posts

March 10th, 2010 04:00

Thanks Fireberd.

I have physically removed the sound blaster card, uninstalled the Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC (is this the right thing?) and reinstalled it. No change.

In device manager under "Sound, video and game controllers" I have these listed: Audio codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices, Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC and Video Codecs.

In Everest under "Multimedia" the "Windows Audio" section is empty and the "PCI/PnP Audio" section says "Intel 82801 GB ICH7 - High Definietion Audio Controller [A-1]"

Is this all correct?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 10th, 2010 05:00

What is Everest? 

The SigmaTel is the correct device but I've never seen it referred to as a "Codec".  A codec is a software item that encodes or decodes some or several audio formats, it's not the actual sound device.

Reinstall the Intel Chipset Drivers, then restart the PC and then see if the SigmaTel works and is detected properly.  The chipset drivers define (identify) the devices on or attached to the motherboard and if the SigmaTel is not being detected correctly that can be one problem.  You may have to reinstall the SigmaTel drivers again. 

8 Posts

March 11th, 2010 07:00

This is Everest here - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html I had heard of it on another forum, seems to be an alternative to device manager

I downloaded and installed the chipest drivers -

I restarted the computer and then downloaded and installed -

After this there has been no changes in device manager and still no audio device. Any other ideas? Thanks for your help

8 Posts

March 12th, 2010 02:00

can anyone help me here please? thanks

8 Posts

March 12th, 2010 03:00

Thanks. I have reset the BIOS and I have disabled the Floppy diskette. The integrated audio is also enabled. Device manager is unchanged, still no errors shown, yet there is still "no audio device" in "Sounds and Audio Deivces". I again tested the audio in Dell diagnostics and the sound was great coming through the speakers, but still no sound in windows.

Thanks for your help

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 12th, 2010 03:00

Those are the correct drivers for the Intel Chipset and the SigmaTel.

Lets go back to the beginning.  Have you enabled the Integrated Audio in the BIOS (Setup)?  If you have, the next step would be to reset the BIOS - with the PC powered off, remove the CR2032 CMOS backup battery on the motherbord for 10 minutes.  Reinstall, making sure it's installed with the correct polarity, power on the PC.  You will probably get a Floppy Diskette failure at boot up and will have to enter the setup (F2) and disabled that.   Check the Integrated Audio, but it should default to enabled.

Start Windows and check the Device Manger.

It does not good to "bump" a post or post asking for someone to help.  This is a users helping users forum and if someone has something to add trying to help they will post.  If not, no one will respond.

8 Posts

March 12th, 2010 04:00

I am not sure if this is related but in device manager i have two identical entries under display adapters - "Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family"

It is the only duplicate I can find

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 12th, 2010 07:00

There's no devices displayed, but can you select the SigmaTel as the default device for any of the sound functions?

This is now sounding more like a Windows problem than a hardware or driver problem.

8 Posts

March 12th, 2010 09:00

No, all the options are in light grey and cannot be selected/altered.

Any options worth trying before formatting it?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 12th, 2010 11:00

You could try a Windows XP "Repair" - which is similar to reinstalling Windows from the Disc - just select Repair instead of install.  You may have to reinstall some updates after the Repair. 

If you opt for a complete reinstall from discs, the correct and required sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) install Intel chipset drivers (3) Install device drivers including sound, video, ethernet, etd.

8 Posts

March 13th, 2010 10:00

OK, I tried to repair windows but with no success.  Any tips on how to make the complete reinstall easier? I have just got Norton Ghost 15, but not sure how to integrate its work with installing a new operating system.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 13th, 2010 14:00

I know nothing about Norton Ghost.  I use Acronis True Image for "ghost" backups and restores.  As you will be doing a complete new install I wouldn't think it will be needed until after the install. 

You will need to back up your user data, e-mails, etc (but not programs as they will have to be "installed").

My E510 and most PC's in that era came with a Dell recovery partition on the hard drive (a custom version of Norton Ghost) that will restore the PC to the original factory condition and no discs are needed.  CTRL/F11 at initial boot up will access the recovery partition and PC Restore.

4 Posts

May 27th, 2010 11:00

i had the same problem with latitude d620 xp

tried reinstalling drivers no luck

it is clearly a windows problem but no one at dell could help

eventually installed a second version of windows as i did not want to have reinstall all my programs

and the sound works no a perfect solution but it works ( i think you can only do this with xp)

June 9th, 2010 03:00

Hi,
I am also new (today) and I have a similar problem I  am hoping to solve that occurred a couple weeks back and, from my internet research to find out more, it seems that this problem happens a lot - but the many discussions I have read come up with as many 'fixes'
1. With Windows XP - (Dell Dimension 5150 Computer) my volume icon on the toolbar at the bottom right of the screen no longer loads - so the icon for the slide volume setting is missing
2. I  went to start ..control panel..speech sounds audio devices...sounds & audio devices....properties...volume
it says NO AUDIO DEVICE and the device volume panel is 'greyed out' so no boxes can be accessed to place volume icon back in task bar.

3. I checked Media player for volume and CD's/DVD's  work fine  - but there is no YouTube or Mic Volume to use Skype to speak with my son who lives abroad - so a real problem here.

4. Researched and searched for programme Sndvol32.exe. on my computer - it found 'slider' icon labelled sndvol32    in c:|i386  136KB 

Not sure what to do next given I  have sndvol32  in c:|i386  136KB on my computer anyway.  
I scanned it  with AVG, in case infected, and it came up okay. Trouble shoot wizard says all is okay & that I have audio, so puzzled about this as cannot work out what to do.
 Can I re-run  somehow? or re-set system back a couple of weeks prior to it disappearing?
Also if I bought a sound blaster plug in - would this provide on-line sound independently of my sndvol.32 problem?
Hope you can help
Thanks
Jumilladave

No Events found!