Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 16th, 2011 13:00

Dell Dimension 8200 Blinking YELLOW LIGHT, HELP PLEASE!

ok i got a dell dimension 8200, and it fell over, now when i try to turn it on, i get a blinking yellow light, I unplugged EVERYTHING, also i tried 4 power supplys that i had, and it's still blinking, the fan is'nt turning on, but the motherboard LED is green, Help me please, thanks.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 16th, 2011 15:00

Killedbyncf

Have you tried unplugging the Fan's power connector from the motherboard and reconnecting it and see if this makes a difference.

Also, try this,

Start the system.
Press 'F2' to enter System Setup.
Highlight 'System Event Log' and press the 'Enter' key.
Highlight 'Clear System Event Log' and press the 'Enter' key.
Press the 'Esc' key twice to restart.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Killedbyncf

Have you checked the sequence of the DIAGNOSTIC LIGHTS

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

on the back panel.

Are there any 'Beeps', or error messages, does the power supply fan work?

Bev.

All the Diagnostic lights are off, and no beeps or error messages, and no power supply fan does not work, im not gunna plug it into my moniter till it goes green.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 16th, 2011 14:00

Yea im good with working with computers, i dont get what u mean tho when u say " unplug the 20-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires,"

I know to unplug it, but theres one green and like 7 Black ones.

Killedbyncf

It means, that you connect the Green wire to any one of the seven black wires, using a 'Jumper' as discribed, this should activate the power supply.

A thought, did you check all the power and data cables are properly connected, including the cables to the front panel, by removing and reconnecting them?

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Killedbyncf

Assuming you were using a 'Know' working power supply.

Have you tried connecting the power cord directly into a different outlet?

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 20-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on, if power supply's fan and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 20-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes and/or there is no change in the diagnostic lights, it would appear that the motherboard and/or the processor has died.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Killedbyncf

Assuming that you have the 20-pin main Motherboard and the 4-pin 12v ATX, power connectors plugged into the motherboard.

Unplug only the 20-pin power connector from the motherboard and use it for the 'Jumper'.

Maybe the Dimension 8200 motherboard's description of the connectors and Sockets HERE

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>can help.

Bev.

OMG YES! I got it to work, i replaced the processor!, thanks dude, ok but when i startup now it says Alert! previous Fan Failure, F1 to cont. F2 to run setup... What do i do?

Which other ones are there? The only one / ones i have plugged in is the 20 pin one and the 4 pin one by the fan.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Killedbyncf

Has the case/processor fan, that's under the green plastic shroud been replaced with a non-Dell unit?

Bev.

Ok i got what you mean, i did that, the fan does turn on for the PSU when i use a paperclip for the green to black, when i try it on the motherboard tho it will not work...

Yea im good with working with computers, i dont get what u mean tho when u say " unplug the 20-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires,"

I know to unplug it, but theres one green and like 7 Black ones.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Killedbyncf

You are welcome and I'm happy to have helped.

Bev.

Killedbyncf

Have you tried unplugging the Fan's power connector from the motherboard and reconnecting it and see if this makes a difference.

Also, try this,

Start the system.
Press 'F2' to enter System Setup.
Highlight 'System Event Log' and press the 'Enter' key.
Highlight 'Clear System Event Log' and press the 'Enter' key.
Press the 'Esc' key twice to restart.

Bev.

It's all good now, thanks a lot man i really appreciate it =), everything is fixed.

11 Posts

March 5th, 2013 12:00

One of our Dell8200 computers is doing the same thing. Are you telling me that, you purchased a brand new processor to solve this problem? I original thought it was the power supply, but that turned out not to be the case. Just bought a brand new StarTech power supply, and it's still the same old story. Where did you find such an old processor for sale anyways? Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 5th, 2013 14:00

One of our Dell8200 computers is doing the same thing. Are you telling me that, you purchased a brand new processor to solve this problem? I original thought it was the power supply, but that turned out not to be the case. Just bought a brand new StarTech power supply, and it's still the same old story. Where did you find such an old processor for sale anyways? Thank you.

kaccie14

EOL Socket 478 processors can still be found on eBay, or using Google and from here,

http://www.starmicroinc.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?display=home

What is the reading of the four diagnostic lights on the back panel/

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19370164/19843004.aspx#19843004

Are there any 'beeps'?

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps listed in the last two paragraphs, of the following post?

Bev.
No Events found!