Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2010 14:00

Dell Dimension 8200 Motherboard "Upgrade"

Hello

I was wandering if it would be at all possible to replce the motherboard in my Dell Dimension 8200 to a Motherboard that can support a CPU like an Intel core 2 duo or a Quad Core Processor!

If it is possible to replace the Motherboard Which 1 would give me a really good run for my Money one that would be quick?

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 22nd, 2010 15:00

GarethS09

There no Dell motherboards available supporting Core 2 Duo, or Quad Core processors that would fit into the obsolete Dimension 8200 'Clam Shell' case.

Time to upgrade to a new PC.    :emotion-5:

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 23rd, 2010 11:00

Hello

Thanks for your Response!

I was wandering whether to get a different motherboard like an intel motherboard that could support a core 2 duo or Quad Processor!

Would i be able to get one like an Intel or ASUS Motherboard and will it work if I replace all the components in my PC?

Thanks

You might be able to fit in a third-party micro-ATX board, but you'd have to do some custom wiring for the front panel, which connects via a proprietary ribbon cable to a socket on the Dell mainboard.

The drives would work with the new board, provided it has requisite sockets. My Foxconn Core 2 Duo boards both have them.

Someone got a micro-ATX board to work in a 4550 case, so it *is* possible. But it'd be a lot easier to buy a Cooler Master case sans power supply and move over your existing power supply and drives. You could then sell the old stuff for parts on eBay.

38 Posts

Hello

Thanks for Your Response!

I already knew I would have to purchase new RAM, Hard drives, CD/DVD Drives etc but I wandered if it was at all possible to replce the current motherboard in my current Dell Dimension 8200 Case so that I can have a faster Processor than I already Have now!

Thanks

38 Posts

Hello

Thanks for your Response!

I was wandering whether to get a different motherboard like an intel motherboard that could support a core 2 duo or Quad Processor!

Would i be able to get one like an Intel or ASUS Motherboard and will it work if I replace all the components in my PC?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

You will effectively be building a new system - you will need a new board, CPU, video card, all new RAM, case, power supply, a retail copy of Windows -- and since newer systems have limited support for older PATA drives, you'll want a new hard drive and CD/DVD drive as well.  About the only thing you might be able to re-use from your current system is the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

No Events found!