Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2012 06:00

Dell Dimension 8200 video card upgrade - need your input

Ordered this  new  from  Dell  back  in 02.

Upgraded  the  cpu  to a  3.06  GHZ and A09  Hyperthreading  Bios.

Two  gigs  of  PC800-40  RAM. 533 mhz  FSB.    XP

Came  with  a 128mb  video  card. Would  like  to  upgrade video.

REMEMBER  THIS  an   AGP  machine.

Considering  this  :

HIS H465F1GHA Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit DDR3 AGP 4X/8X HDCP Ready  Video Card

However  it  would  require  a  PSU  upgrade,  only   $ 31.00  bucks  though.

Plus  the  card  is  $ 79.99  after  rebate.  All  in  all  not  that  bad  a  deal  and  am  seriously  considering

this  as it would  be  the  best  available  SINGLE  BAY  AGP  video  card  out  there.

Kinda  worried  even  though  this   would  be  a nice  setup  it  would  be  complete

overkill  for  my  old  P4  system  ?     Need  your  input   ?????

Would  consider  a  used  card  from  Ebay  if  I  didn't  have  to  upgrade  PSU  also  ?

What  would  be  the  most  powerful  VIDEO  CARD    WITHOUT    upgrading  the  PSU  ?

Would  really  like  an  HDMI  port  on  the  card  also.

Would  like  to  hear  from  those  who  have  upgraded  video  card  in  this  machine

without  a  PSU  UPGRADE  ?  Yeah  I  know  she  is  old  but  plenty  good  for  kid.

Thanks  for  all  your  input......

Bill/     5  up   uu       

3.7K Posts

January 27th, 2012 07:00

HIS H465F1GHA Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit DDR3 AGP 4X/8X HDCP Ready  Video Card

However  it  would  require  a  PSU  upgrade,  only   $ 31.00  bucks  though.

Plus  the  card  is  $ 79.99  after  rebate.  All  in  all  not  that  bad  a  deal  and  am  seriously  considering

this  as it would  be  the  best  available  SINGLE  BAY  AGP  video  card  out  there.

That is a good deal for $79.99, and the graphics card is a good card. I would not say it is a overkill, if it's cheaper to upgrade, then do it. It will save you money in the long term, cheaper than buying a new system.

Would  consider  a  used  card  from  Ebay 

I would buy nothing off Ebay, you buy what you see, and you don't know if the card works, or whither or not, you will get your money back should something happen to the card.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 27th, 2012 09:00

Spending anything on a 10 year old obsolete computer is not cost effective. If the current video card works, use the computer until it dies and then buy a new one.

25 Posts

January 27th, 2012 11:00

Come  on  now  just  cause  its  old.  Its  good  enough  for the  kids.

Keep  the  replies  coming.  

Who  has  upgraded  there  8200  ?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 27th, 2012 13:00

The 4650 is good choice for a final upgrade. And I'm not sure you need a power supply upgrade -- the 4650 is not that demanding a GPU.

I upgraded a 2350 to Windows 7, and its Windows Experience index is higher than a neighbor's reasonably new mini-ITX.

72 Posts

January 27th, 2012 14:00

I'm going to have to agree with Mary--and with rdunnill ;-)

If you really think you're going to do something with this box for a while, an HD 4650 is a good choice--as long as you can get one for under USD40. Otherwise, I'd also say to save your pennies for a newer box; USD80+ for a card plus USD30+ for a new PS is getting close to a third of the cost of a brand-new i570 that will totally spank the 8200.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 27th, 2012 15:00

Video card manufacturers are famous for grossly overstating the power supply requirements.

I used a 4650 AGP with a 275-watt micro-ATX power supply and it worked OK.

25 Posts

Well  the  4650  is  calling  for  a  400  watt  supply  and  the  Dell  is  250  watt.  Read  where  Dell   underates  their  PSU  and  card    manufacturers  inflate  their  requirements  to  be  safe.  So  what  you  think  ?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

Jetmeck:

You should be able to get two more years use out of it with the upgrade.

One of my relatives is in senior management and holds a high-end accounting designation, and said putting $110 into an old 5150 (new power supply and 1tb 7200-RPM hard drdive) was a no-brainer vis a vis buying a new PC for $400-450 (after tax and shipping).

On the Dell site, the cheapest low end unit is around $300, but that's before tax and shipping, which adds another $100. And that's not a Core i5, it's a Sempron, with integrated graphics.Start adding niceties like a discrete video card and the price quickly climbs.

25 Posts

January 27th, 2012 17:00

Well  if  it  won't  start  up  with  the  new  card  I  would know  I  needed  the  upgraded  power  supply ???

25 Posts

January 27th, 2012 17:00

Also  the  Dell  computer  I  would  order  for  me  as  of  today  is  $1700.oo  plus  tax  and  shipping ..................Just  checked .

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 27th, 2012 18:00

I forgot to plug the four-pin power connector into my 4650 AGP and it still worked.

I don't think you'll have a problem with it.

25 Posts

January 27th, 2012 23:00

Appreciate  your  responses and  patience  greatly.  You  know  how  the internet  is.

I  read  somewhere  that  a  low  wattage  power  supply  could  run  the

vid  card  BARELY  as  in  not  at  peak  performance  and  have  also  read  the  puter  will

not  even  start  up  if  the  PSU  isn't  powerful  enough  to  run  the  card.

????????????????????  Thanks.................

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 28th, 2012 09:00

I think the requirements are 18 amps on the 12-volt rail.

If the machine doesn't start, that's a signal to get a new power supply. But I haven't come across that problem. My 2350 has a stock power supply and runs an 8400GS (which requires 18 amps on the 12-volt rail) without problems, and it's older than what you have.

25 Posts

February 4th, 2012 00:00

Ended  up  with  the  4670  card  which  has the  same  PSU requirements  as  the  4650  but   is  overclocked  with  much  better  cooling. It  requires  two  bays to  exhaust  directly  out  of  the  case  which  is  a  wise  plan  on  our  mid  case  Dells  with  bare   essentials  as  far  as  fans  go....... so  I  will  be  removing   my  modem  (no  longer  needed  anyway) in  the  PCI  slot  next  to  the  AGP  slot.    I   will  have  to  move  my  ETHERNET  card  over  one  slot.  I  have  searched  and  have  the  factory  Dell  cds.

What  would  be  the  procedure  for  removing  the  drivers  for  the  modem  and  removing  the  drivers  for  the  ethernet  card  and  swapping  PCI  slots.  Will  I  have  to  find  a  Dell  driver  or  will  the  Windows  driver  be  sufficient  for  the  ethernet  card  ? Thanks  for  all  the  comments  and  help.  Again  I  did  search  multiple  times  for  this  info.

Thanks..............

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 4th, 2012 11:00

I've never bothered removing drivers when I move cards around. At worst, you'll have to reinstall the drivers; at best, Windows will reuse them.

No Events found!