Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 30th, 2011 06:00

Dell Dimension 8400 wont power up????

Have a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop that wont start up. Was working fine a few days ago, power went out at the house Saturday night because of Hurricane outage, power came back on today, internet up, laptop up and running but the desktop wont start. I have unplugged and no luck. I dont hear anything when I hit the power button up front. looked around back and dont see a reset button or anything, not tech savy so I dont know what else to try. What could the power outage done, damage or reset. What can i do to troubleshoot? Will a new power cord help? Do I need to open tower and check for anything? I have much of my docs on external drive, what can I do to retrive desktop info?

Thanks for any help......

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 30th, 2011 08:00

ndnboy98

Check the reading of the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber, or not lite?

Does the power supply fan work?

Are there any *beeps*?

Check the sequence of the diagnostic lights on the back panel of the case, see HERE. 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

4 Posts

August 30th, 2011 09:00

power button in front of tower wont turn on.

no fan can be heard.

no beeps heard.

dig lights on back panel are all off.

I was told it may be the PSU, I opened case and checked those connectors, good. There is a small green light that is on the mother board, next to the PSU connector that is lite.

Do I need a new PSU? Where to get/Geek Squad at Best Buy or online. Not tech savy, will try something with the right direction if possible, thanks.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 30th, 2011 15:00

ndnboy98

Try installing a different power supply and see if this makes a difference.

While the case is open check the motherboard for any charred or burnt [both 4 and 24-pin] power connectors.

The 8400 PC's use a standard ATX PSU with a 24pin or 20+4 main motherboard power connector and no on/off switch, if you use a PSU with a switch, then you will have to modify the back panel for it, by cutting a hole for the switch. 

The power supply needs a minimum of 2 SATA power connectors.

The directions for replacing the 8400 power supply are HERE 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

A Dell OEM refurbished 350w Dimension 8400 power supply can be purchased from HERE

Bev.

No Events found!