Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2017 11:00

Dell Dimension DM610 consistently beeping on boot up

Since last Monday my Dimension DM610 has started to consistently beep on boot up.  This desktop has been operating normally since I acquired it from new in the late noughties.

I discovered that by depressing the & keys  simultaneously I seem to be able to step through the boot up process at the end of which the PC functions normally.

It is like an old batch file that prompts 'Press any key to continue' as it runs through its instructions.

The PC is a Dell Dimension DM610 Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 3.06GHz, 1.99 Gb of RAM running Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 Service pack 3.

Has any one any ideas regarding this issue?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 31st, 2017 13:00

Are you sure "Dimension DM610" is the correct model name and number?  I don't see any Dimension model with that number on Dell's support site.  If this system has a Service Tag, you can use that to find the model number on Dell's support site. (Do NOT post the Service Tag number here. )

Count the beeps. They probably will be in 3 groups, separated by a very brief pause, eg 3 beeps-pause-2 beeps-pause-1 beep. Once you know the correct model, you can look up whatever beep code you're getting in that system's manual.

When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery?

No Events found!