Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 9th, 2009 15:00

Dell Dimension E510 Solid Orange Light

Okay so i got this computer from my friend and plugged everything in. I turned it on and there is no display, no beeps, and the diagnostic lights are NOT lit. the power button light is a solid NOT BLINKING Orange. Anyone have any ideas? i have followed dell by disconnecting all the cards and stuff. but they wont help me more cause the warranty is up..  Please HELP!!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

gecee123

Dell's E510/D5150 diagnostic guide and troubleshooter is HERE. <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

If you are comfortable around computers, you could try the following.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and if power supply fan and hard drive runs, the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, then check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes or no diagnostic lights on the front/back panel, then it would appear that motherboard has died.

While the case is open, you check the motherboard for any capacitors with bulging tops or are leaking, the tops should be perfectly flat.

Bev.

6 Posts

ok i jumped the cables.  hard disk started spinning and the powersupply fan turned on.  the fan wasn't very loud. is that a problem?

6 Posts

the power supply fan is working

6 Posts

If this is the mother board where can i find a replace ment? or is there no point in buying a new one

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

gecee123,

Does the A01 power supply fan spin when turned on?

6 Posts

April 9th, 2009 16:00

gecee123,

Does the A01 power supply fan spin when turned on?

the power source is A00

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 9th, 2009 16:00

gecee123

As the e510 BTX case and motherboard have proprietary features, you would need to use a Dell e510 motherboard.

A Dell e510 OEM replacement can be purchased from HERE

You could also, browse eBay for a replacement.

If the e510 is more than three years old, compare the cost of repairs, against upgrading to a new system.

Bev.

6 Posts

April 9th, 2009 21:00

gecee123

As the e510 BTX case and motherboard have proprietary features, you would need to use a Dell e510 motherboard.

A Dell e510 OEM replacement can be purchased from HERE

You could also, browse eBay for a replacement.

If the e510 is more than three years old, compare the cost of repairs, against upgrading to a new system.

Bev.

alright i'll look.  are we sure this is the motherboard that is bad?

No Events found!