Highlighted

Dell Dimension E520 CPU Upgrade

Jump to solution

Hi, i'm upgrading my CPU because this one is too slow, and the one I am getting I will be paying 80$ instead of the usual 250$ price. I would love to know if they are compatible with my system. All I know is they have the same socket type (LGA 775). Heres the link to it : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115060CVF 

These are my current computer specs : 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1GB GDDR5 128bit AMD video card, 1.86Ghz Intel core 2 duo CPU (Rated at 3.33Ghz), and a 305W power supply.

If I would need to change the power supply, I'd love to know because I have one here that is 750w I could also use. Thanks.

Daren

*P.S : I know i'll have to update my BIOS because I am currently at version 2.2.1, and the latest is 2.2.4 (Or something like that) should I just bring it to somebody to do it for me, or is it easy to update? I don't know where the find them, so if possibly somebody could direct me, I have Pheonix technologies BIOS.

Thank you very much again!  

0 Kudos
65 Replies
shesagordie
Diamond

Re: Dell Dimension E520 CPU Upgrade

Jump to solution

DarenDussault

The Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W shown in your link is not compatible with the e520.

All the Socket LGA 775 processors, listed HERE are compatible.

There should be no need to upgrade the  power supply for a processor upgrade.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

Jump to solution

This thread is a little bit old now, but you will find that the Q6600 and the Q6700 will both work in the E520. In fact, I have a QX6800 (Intel Core 2 Extreme @ 2.93GHz) installed in my E520 and it works perfectly. I have upgraded the PSU to 650w but that was more on account of the graphics card (Radeon HD7850). I Have 8Gb DDR2RAM installed with Win7 64 bit and an OCZ SSD system drive. The whole rig delivers rock solid reliability and enough power and speed for pretty much anything.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Further to the previous post, the E520 will work with any of the CPUs supported by the Intel P965 Chipset, listed here

0 Kudos

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
rdunnill
Diamond

Jump to solution

Thanks for the update!

0 Kudos
shesagordie
Diamond

Jump to solution

neil_flottmann

Great info, and appreciate the heads up

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
brockpowers
Copper

Jump to solution

being somewhat new to the upgrade scene, is it hard to upgrade the chipset to accommodate more memory?  i've added memory to my machine, but it only recognizes 3 of the 4 Gigs of mem.  obviously, i need to perform this type of upgrade to access the memory.  i thank you in advance for your input.  investigating the cpu upgrades you recommended.  

0 Kudos
brockpowers
Copper

Jump to solution

forgot to mention i also have an e520  

0 Kudos
rdunnill
Diamond

Jump to solution

I suggest opening up a new thread for this question.

0 Kudos