Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 8th, 2009 06:00

Dell Dimension E521 Setup - Locked out of setup, do not know how to reset password

Hi. I have a problem with my Dell Dimension E521.

On the setup screen when I press F2, I added an administrator password in the security field.

I thought I knew the password, as I had it written down somewhere, but I cannot find it.

I do not know how to reset the password - it told me to remove the admin password by entering a blank password in the new and confirm

password prompts, but it will not let me move down.

Can anybody give me any pointers as to how I can reset my password without re-installing my operating system again? Thanks.

My computer specifications:
Model: Dell Dimension E521

RAM: 2GB

Processor Speed and Model: AMD Athlon Dual Core 2Ghz

OS: Microsoft Windows Vista - Home premium (32 Bit edition), service pack 1

24 Posts

February 8th, 2009 08:00

Locate the 2-pin password jumper (PSWD) on the system board , and remove the jumper to clear the password.

It's next to the PCIE slot.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 19th, 2014 13:00

tompsdf

No.

Bev.

2 Posts

February 8th, 2009 09:00

Locate the 2-pin password jumper (PSWD) on the system board , and remove the jumper to clear the password.

It's next to the PCIE slot.

I'm not quite sure where it is, so I will be as detailed as I can. I turned off the system, unplugged the computer and opened it up. On the motherboard, I can see 4 slots for RAM, 2 are occupied. Next to that on the right, there is a blue cable coming out of a slot from the motherboard and a red cable just down from it. Down from the two cables, I can see the processor. There are 2 black slots just to the upper right of the processor, which are unoccupied. Aside from this there are a few empty slots, but I do not know what these are for. Do I remove the red cable or the blue cable next to the RAM slots on the right and place them anywhere else? I'm still confused, and I don't want to go messing with anything I do not understand. Can you tell me exactly where the 2 pin jumper is and what it looks like?

Thanks for the help.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 8th, 2009 12:00

CalumH63

THIS <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>will show the location of the password jumper (PSWD) on the motherboard.

Bev.

2 Posts

December 6th, 2011 21:00

I have a Dell Vista E521 and Im unable to use it,because I totally forgot the password its a little over 3yrs. It was used for about a year. It such a shame, because I did not use it, but maybe a year. It just disgust me. now i have laptop, but I muss my E521. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could tell me how to to retrieve this Password. Thank You for taking the time to read this. In just so frustrating about the whole situation.

Sincerely,

Kenneth Morin                                                                                              

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 7th, 2011 09:00

kandowit

Sorry to hear that, it's a bummer, hence the reason why I use a password based on my old Military ID, that I will never forget, as it's engraved on my heart.

Have you tried using the password jumper on the motherboard?

Bev.

2 Posts

December 10th, 2011 19:00

Hi shesagordie

We found the jumper pswd section, pulled it out,put it back and on the blue screen It said pswd diabled and to set up a new password we did, shut pc down turned it on using new pass and where you log in under Administrator trying new pass it sai pswd incorrect. when we first did what u told us would help we got on safe mode and it gave us a hint on what the pswd was and we could not believe what it was it just had to do with our dog and the pc took it and it work. I just cant understand why i  cant in normal Please help I know u can

1 Message

August 18th, 2012 21:00

Thank God for old posts.  Your answer worked like a charm.  Thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 18th, 2012 21:00

yaquis

You are welcome.

Bev.

5 Posts

November 19th, 2014 12:00

I removed the PSWD, restarted and entered bios. It said password was disabled due to jumper settings (or so) ... at least I was able to do what the password prevented before: update my BIOS. 

However -even with PSWD removed- I was not able to change the Password (or disable it) in BIOS security settings. As soon as I put the PSWD back in place the old password (which I do not remember) is active again.

Is there anything I could do to actually change the password without entering the old one?

Tried on an older Optiplex 755

THX

Tom

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 20th, 2014 06:00

Bios Jumper will not clear a pass-worded Hard drive.

5 Posts

Well, I took chances and placed the password jumper on the RTCRST jumper for a view minutes. The BIOS is now permanently unlocked (as I have read that BIOS Lock provides some missleading feeling of security anyway).

Of course I had to reinstall my OS after this procedure, but it´s still worth it, I think.

THX

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.    

No Events found!