Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 12th, 2016 09:00

Dell Inspiron 3847 Desktop Samsung Evo SSD not showing in boot options. . .Help!!

Hi everyone,

I am brand new on the forum and I have signed up specifically because I am having some problems with the Samsung SSD drive in my Dell Inspiron 3847 desktop,

At the moment I have it connected to sata port 0, exactly where the original HDD was plugged in. Although I am able to boot straight to Windows on the SSD with this configuration, I am unable to choose it as my primary boot drive because it is not showing in the boot menu, in a nutshell it is not listed in the bootable devices when I enter BIOS,

I spent around half an hour talking to a Dell technician on the telephone who walked me through some steps in the bios, but it still didn't show,

I contacted Dell support again today and spoke to a rather rude Guy in technical support who told me he could not help me with this, because the Inspiron 3847 has not been tested by Dell for SSD compatibility, he was most adamant that he could not help,

I am very frustrated by this whole affair because I have read articles, on this particular Forum in fact that suggests it is possible to install an SSD in this model,

Is there anybody within the community you can offer some support and tell me where I might be going wrong with this?, in its current configuration the SSD is working really great and fast, I'm just so confused as to why I can't use it as my primary drive?. I have formatted my original HDD and was planning to use this as extra storage,

If someone could help me with this I would be really grateful,

Many thanks,

Mr Anthony

5 Posts

May 23rd, 2016 06:00

New PC with Windows 8 and up has UEFI boot system. Is your SSD drive UEFI compatible? if not then, change the settings in BIOS of PC from UEFI mode to CSM mode (Legacy boot). This is the work around to support legacy support for booting for a CD/DVD. Google/Youtube around, there is plenty of info.

Steps: F2- Boot Tab-Change Secure Boot Control to Disabled. Boot Mode change UEFI to Legacy. You should be able to see you SSD drive (possible an ACHI?). F10 to Save/Exit.

Note: You may have to revert to original settings to boot from the boot drive "C" to UEFI mode.

"One of Microsoft’s new rules for Windows 8 is that any manufacturer that ships a windows 8 computer must enable UEFI secure boot by default. The UEFI BIOS is created for Windows 8 and if you need to use other system like Windows 7, Linux or any other OS, you have to disable the UEFI BIOS and Secure Boot options".

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 24th, 2016 06:00

Secure boot prevents ANY hardware or Driver or Software from loading unless there is a certificate for the device IN BIOS.  However the other issue may be you are trying to install windows 7 and your version requires F6 drivers because most all drives after 2011 are ADVANCED FORMAT 4k drives.

INTEL RST 9.6 or higher F6 drivers are REQUIRED to install windows 7 on these drives.

Device drivers for disk drives are also changing to accommodate Advanced Format. Because the controller chipsets for disk drives are embedded within the motherboard, these device drivers are optimized to support features like RAID options and they are supplied by the chipset manufacturer or OEM. Current Microsoft operating systems also use a default device driver that supports standard installations.

Unfortunately, the Intel device driver (Intel Matrix Storage Manager 8.9.0.1023) bundled with the Windows 7 Installation DVD will not  see Advanced Format drives. Most often, the installation process selects F6  other drivers for use with the system configuration resulting in error-free installation of Windows 7. However, in some cases, where the hardware specifically requires the Intel RST driver, a RAID mode is chosen, or a manual installation is forced with the driver, an error can occur and the installation halts.

The error displays the message “Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer’s hardware”.

downloadcenter.intel.com/.../15251
Version 9.6.0.1014  may be the max for your motherboard

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_0104= "Intel(R) ESB2 SATA RAID"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104= "Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA RAID"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104= "Intel(R) ICH7MDH SATA RAID Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104= "Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/5/3400 SATA RAID"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104= "Intel(R) ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E/5 Series SATA RAID"

NEWER Versions (Not necessarily Supported on OLD chipsets)

Microsoft* .NET Framework 3.0 or newer is required to be installed on the system in order for the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology User Interface to install.  Note that  Microsoft* Operating
Systems do not have .NET 3.0 or newer installed by default.

12 Posts

August 8th, 2016 15:00

Thanks for your help, i have now resolved the issue

No Events found!