Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 28th, 2013 19:00

Dell Inspiron 531 Not Booting from Dell DVD

I am desperately going crazy here. I have been all over forums, the net and Google trying to find an answer. I have been to the Dell support instructions on reloading windows Vista from the DVD provided with the PC, but issues come with this. PC Details:

Dell Inspiron 531 (given to me second hand NOT WORKING upon receipt) Has a Vista sticker and key code. Verified with Dell machine is suppose to have Vista.

2 Sata HDD's (1 on Sata 0, 1 on Sata 3)

1 Sata CD/DVD reader (on Sata 2)

When initially booting it will quickly pop a blue screen of death (faster than I can really see it). Recycle itself and then go into the choices of Safe Modes. If I choose the Safe Mode it takes me to XP (not Vista). I have followed the instructions as far as getting to choosing to boot from the DVD drive (after selecting F12 at the DELL screen). Once I select this I get the following:

It pauses for a moment (like it is going to boot from the CD/DVD drive) and the BLAMO I get "No boot device available SATA 0: Installed, SATA 1: Installed, SATA 2: None, SATA 3: None

Any help would be great. I just want to get this working again.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 28th, 2013 21:00

Dell Vista x64 Reinstallation Disc

I am wondering if there is a hardware error like a failing power supply, though.

November 28th, 2013 22:00

I was thinking that as well, but when I let it cycle through and choose one of the Safe Mode options it works. I would guess that if the power supply was bad that it would not even get past turning on.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 28th, 2013 23:00

Flaky power supplies often allow power-up, but the system is unstable and the symptoms might seemingly point to the hard drive or the video card. Blue screens are a common symptom.

November 29th, 2013 07:00

Is there a way to test a power supply? Trying to fix two PC's (one of which I know has a bad power supply) and now this 531. I would like to try and test the PS on this 531, I guess which would be a good starting point.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 29th, 2013 08:00

There is no Good test of a power supply other than to use a Known Good Supply.

$30 or less versions from various stores are NOT GOOD right out of the box from the store and likely will destroy everything.

Good 550W and greater power supplies tend to cost $100+

http://www.microcenter.com/product/365786/Enthusiast_Series_TX650M_650_Watt_High_Performance_Modular_Power_Supply

No Events found!