Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 25th, 2011 11:00

Dell Inspiron 560 CPU Upgrade

Hi, I own the Dell Inspiron 560 with the Intel Celeron 450 processor, which I recently purchased on special from the Dell Outlet.  I would like to upgrade to the cheapest compatible dual core CPU.  Specifically, I am looking at the Intel Celeron E3400. 

I contacted tech support and, sadly, got this very conservative and unhelpful response, "Dell does not recommend processor upgrade."  That kind of response does not inspire brand loyalty.  Rather, it seemed like a recommendation to build my own next time.   The Dell Comprehensive Specifications clearly state the computer can run with the following processor types - Intel®  Celeron®,  Intel Pentium®,  Dual Core,  Intel Core™2 Duo, and Intel  Core2  Quad. The Dell Manual for the Inspiron 560 clearly describes how to replace the processor.  Based on these sources, which I investigate prior to my purchase, I had the  expectation that I could upgrade to any of those processors. However, that expectation now seems very inconsistent with the response I received from tech support.

Anybody out there who can help me with this question?  Is there only one Inspiron 560 motherboard or is there a different motherboard for the 560s running Core2 Duo and Core2 Quad processors?   Thanks for your assistance.  - Jim   

2 Posts

April 2nd, 2011 17:00

I'm sorry, I added the tag so that people could know what rev of board etc I have and know if my system is the same as theirs. It originally shipped from Dell with a Celeron 450.

For what it's worth, I have just tried a borrowed 3.0 Ghz E8400 in my inspiron 560. I borrowed the E8400 out of a Dell T3400 my son is using. It worked fine and gave a processor sub score of 6.5 on the windows 7 experience index.

I just tested for a short while, so I didn't monitor temperature build up or anyhting like that. It ran a couple hours just fine.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 25th, 2011 14:00

Dell currently sells the Inspiron 560 with either a Pentium dual-core E6700 (3.20 GHz, 2MB L2, 1066 MHz) or a Pentium dual-core E5800 (3.2 GHz, 2MB L2, 800 MHz) processor, so either of those should work in your system.

The System specs list:

Dual Core Intel Pentium

Intel Core 2 Duo

Intel Core2 Quad

So it appears that you have a lot of choices...

Ron

3 Posts

March 27th, 2011 16:00

Yes, the system spec list is indeed extensive and I relied on that when I made my purchase.  Yet,tech support basically told me the CPU could not be upgraded and  when I check online at Dell Parts they list no processors as upgrades for my system.

If that is the case, the Systems Specs are very misleading.  Based on past experience I expect CPU upgrades to be somewhat limited when working with a Dell computer, but the specifications I reviewed, which you cite above, led me to believe I had a great deal of latitude with the Inspiron 560.  Has anybody out there actually upgraded their CPU on an Inspirion 560 and, if so, with what processor and what results? 

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 28th, 2011 12:00

Search these forums. Maybe somebody else has posted about upgrading the CPU in the 560. Obviously Dell is selling it with 2 different Pentiums so those are potential choices for your upgrade.

When it comes to tech support, believe half of what you read, and none of what you hear!  :emotion-4:

I'd go with whatever the specs say is a compatible CPU for this model.

Ron

2 Posts

April 1st, 2011 18:00

I just upgraded the CPU in my Inspiron 560 service tag < ADMIN NOTE : Service tag removed per privacy policy  > with an Intel Dual Core Pentium E2220 at 2.4Ghz. It was a used CPU off eBay.

I'm sure others will work too, but this is the only one I've tried.

The windows 7 experience index for the CPU increased from 3.6 to 5.9. The faster CPU caused the memory speed to increase to 5.5

I had previously added an inexpensive ATI 3d video card. My overall windows 7 exerience index is 5.0 (limited by the video card), the machine is transformed, it's a seriously useful PC now and I'm still in for less than $400.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

April 2nd, 2011 12:00

Waringmark - Please edit your post and remove the Service Tag number. It's a violation of the forum's Terms of Service to post any personal info, including a Service Tag number. It's also very unwise to post a Service Tag because it could allow others to gain access to your personal info.

If you don't remove the Service Tag asap, the forum moderators may delete your post, or  delete this entire thread.

Ron

3 Posts

April 5th, 2011 11:00

Thank you very much for your post, waringmark.  It really helps to know someone has completed the upgrade without problems.  It's unfortunate that Dell technical support is so conservative in their advice/recommendations.  It can discourage someone from buying what could be a great computer with a simple CPU upgrade, as your experience indicates. 

June 21st, 2012 09:00

Hello and I hope you can help me too! I also purchased the Inspiron 560 - but the processor listed is AMD Sempron(tm) 140 processor? I have had continuous problems with thes computer right out of the box and believe it is defective, but since I reported the problem days away from the 90 return, I am stuck. Is this processor bad? How can I upgrade the processor and what product do I need? I hope you can help me - I am at my wits end....

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 21st, 2012 12:00

Hello and I hope you can help me too! I also purchased the Inspiron 560 - but the processor listed is AMD Sempron(tm) 140 processor? I have had continuous problems with thes computer right out of the box and believe it is defective, but since I reported the problem days away from the 90 return, I am stuck. Is this processor bad? How can I upgrade the processor and what product do I need? I hope you can help me - I am at my wits end....

blondeagent99

What issues are you having?

Are you certain that you have a Inspiron 560, as the Inspiron 560 supports only Intel processors, the Inspiron 570 supports AMD processors?

The 560/570 specifications are here,

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 29th, 2014 21:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.    

5 Posts

October 29th, 2014 21:00

Just to inform anyone the intel core 2 duo E8400 3.0 ghz works perfect in this system I read this post and bought one and tried it for myself and it worked beautifully never overheats and increased the performance way over my expectations so great job waringmark.

No Events found!