Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 27th, 2012 22:00

Dell Inspiron One - all in one - Won't turn on

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron One (All in one) that is about 3-4 years old. Recently (2 days ago) my computer powered off, but turned on again..then about an hour later it just shut off. Now it won't even boot. When I press the power button it beep's once or twice, and the light is an amber-orange color, but the screen doesn't display anything. How can I fix this? I'd really appreciate it if I could get some help, I have some important files I need!

Thanks,

Sean

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 28th, 2012 16:00

Sounds like an Inspiron One 19. Do you have a touch screen or not? If that's not the right model, click Support at the very top of any forum page and enter the Service Tag on the next page. That should bring you to a page which shows your model number.

When the power button is amber, is it solid or blinking?

Solid amber — The system board cannot start initialization. There may be an issue with  either the system board or the power supply.

Blinking amber — The computer has detected an error during the Power-on self-test (POST).

See the entries in the table posted by Chinmay, above, for errors indicated by one or two beeps.

Unfortunately, it's not so easy to work inside the Inspiron One 19 case. If it's under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support for repairs. Otherwise, you have to be really comfortable working inside the case of this model, if you're going to remove and reseat the RAM modules in their slots, test the power supply or install a fresh motherboard battery. You can see what has to be done for each of those in the service manual.

Otherwise, you may need to take it to a local PC shop and let them do the troubleshooting...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 28th, 2012 17:00

Enter your Service Tag number on the Support page and you'll see Warranty info on the right side at the top next to the system model number.

Blinking Amber is probably better than solid amber. If it's making one or two beeps, that might possibly be a dead battery or a RAM module(s) needing to be reseated in the slot or replaced.

Only you can decide how to go from here if you don't have any warranty left: Try working inside by yourself, find a geeky friend you trust, or take it to a reputable PC shop.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Sorry to hear that...

Was I correct that it's an XPS One 19?

You have to decide what to do next: Try to fix it yourself, find a geeky friend, go to a PC shop, or perhaps buy something new.  Since it might be something simple (I make NO promises!)  like a battery or RAM module, it might be worth having somebody diagnose it to see what it costs to fix. You may have to pay a diagnosis fee if you decide not to fix it, should it need something more expensive like a new motherboard.

If you do buy something new, you can probably remove the hard drive and install it in the new system as a secondary drive for additional storage or backup and to recover your files, or you could install the old drive in a drive case with a USB connection and use it as an external drive for storage or backups.

6 Posts

December 27th, 2012 23:00

I don't know if this is the System Model, but it says "Reg Model W01B". It does have a amber light that blinks once or twice. It makes a little tick sound and the power button lights up Amber when I press the power button. It doesn't make anymore sounds afterwards.

This is the computer :  http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Dell-Inspiron-One-19-All-in-One-PC-front.jpg

1.8K Posts

December 27th, 2012 23:00

Hi Sean,

It appears to be a no post issue. Please share the exact system model.

In a no post situation, system can emit a series of beeps during start-up if the display cannot show errors or problems. These series of beeps, called beep codes identify various problems. Please let me know the series of beeps you hear. 

You can check the beep codes and issue pertaining to them from the image below:

Please reply with the information. 

6 Posts

December 28th, 2012 14:00

Bump?

6 Posts

It's a blinking amber, and I don't think I have a warranty:(

6 Posts

My warranty ended a year ago :( darn.

6 Posts

December 28th, 2012 18:00

I don't care about the PC just the harddrive

1 Message

December 28th, 2012 19:00

try powering on with only basics, no usb ANYTHING..No printers etc....also,not sure if it comes with voltage selection switch like old Dell desktops models...I had an issue with amber light blinking and as it turned out somehow or another the switch was set in middle so I just moved it over and it powered right up...good luck

December 1st, 2014 08:00

My dell Inspiron all in one will not power on. Screen is black. Power button lights up and a faint sound can be heard for a few seconds. It is 2-3 yrs old. What should we do?

December 11th, 2014 19:00

Service tag Service tag removed per privacy policy> DELL INSPIRON ONE Won't.power. On.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 12th, 2014 10:00

Service tag 8S65NQI DELL INSPIRON ONE Won't.power. On.

Please remove your Service Tag. It's a violation of the Terms of Use for this forum to post Service Tags.

And you should start your own thread since this one is old, and include details about color of the power button, steady or blinking, and exactly what you mean by won't power on.

No Events found!