Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 25th, 2013 23:00

Dell/Logitech KM714 Keyboard Working with XPS 27 AiO?

My new XPS27 all-in-one has been excellent once a few kinks were worked out.  It comes with a Dell branded Logitech keyboard/mouse combination - model KM714.  There are multi-media keys accessed through the Fn button; things like play, pause, up volume, down volume, mute.  The Fn button also allows common Win 8 functions like search, charms bar, etc.

The Win 8 functions are fine, but the multi-media keys are not.  They are not operational.  Dell support had me update firmware, but still no luck.  They then sent me a new keyboard, same model.  Still no luck.

I'm wondering if anyone else with a XPS 2720 has a KM714 that works?  On Dell website, http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=332-1396 it actually doesn't list the 2720 as compatible.  Out of date information on a website would be nothing new; and seem peculiar that Dell would bundle an incompatible keyboard with a high end machine.

Anyone out there with a KM714 with similar problems?

Thanks all.

August 12th, 2013 18:00

So eventually, after just continuing to reinstall drivers, keyboard is finally controlling the media settings.  Went to a Microsoft store where they had XPS 27 on display and they suggested to just try all drivers until it worked.  I didn't approach it very scientifically unfortunately as did this a few times, but this last time, I reinstalled about 5 varying from chipset to video card and shazam.

Oh Dell, you backlog your orders, then seemingly rush out your builds with ancient drivers on board.  I had keyboard not work; I had touch screen fail; I loaded drivers that we 6 months newer than the ones installed at the factory...

What has happened to you Dell?  Anyway, my problem is over.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 25th, 2013 23:00

Hi aureliusjones,

I would suggest you to download and install the files related to KM714 Keyboard from the links below for issue resolution.

http://dell.to/18GmhKv

http://dell.to/15jHGEj

Please let me know if this helps.

July 26th, 2013 00:00

Ravi, thanks for the suggestion.  That did not help after installing those.  

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 29th, 2013 08:00

Hi aureliusjones,

I would like you to connect the Keyboard and mouse to different system and check if the multimedia keys work.

July 30th, 2013 15:00

I had a problem with keyboard ("N" key not working reliably) and mouse (had to reinsert the batteries after a prolonged idle of the equipment (both PC Sleep and Disk Sleep were disabled). DELL replaced both, but I haven't yet tested the new ones out. Haven't tried the media keys other than mute and unmute buttons. Those work correctly.

July 30th, 2013 22:00

Thanks Yew ap Hekate.  Well, if your mute/unmute work, seems like you are having better luck than I.  

July 30th, 2013 22:00

That was a good debug suggestion Ravi.  Thanks.  In fact, the keyboard does work with my Win XP machine.  So it would seem it is either a compatibility issue with the Dell XPS (seems weird that it would be hardware) or likely a Windows configuration or driver issue of some kind.

Dell Support actually shipped me a new keyboard; same problem.  

And I see you work for Dell, so apologies, but the resolution option I was presented today was pretty shocking.  The tech suggested I just return the XPS 27.  Seems like an amazing waste of resources to just junk heap the machine because we can't figure out why it's not working with the specific machine.  Honestly, I'd rather buy a retail keyboard first, before wasting the time to crate up this 35lb machine, ship it back, get a new one.  Amazing.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 31st, 2013 02:00

Hi aureliusjones,

I would advise you to back up the data files and restore the system to factory state for issue resolution.

July 31st, 2013 09:00

Hi Ravi,

Before I attempt this, if the media controls never worked on this machine, even on day 1, restoration to factory state would put it back to this original still non functional state yes?

Chris

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 1st, 2013 17:00

Hi aureliusjones,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the system to check if it fixes the issue. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/ZaQuel

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 1st, 2013 20:00

Hi Yew ap Hekate,

This has been rather unfortunate. Sorry about that. Please check and let me know if you face any concerns with the replacement. 

August 4th, 2013 08:00

Most of the time the keyboard works fine now, with the exception of the space key not hitting once in a while. But the mouse has the same problem as before the hardware changeover.

-Mark

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 5th, 2013 08:00

Hi Yew ap Hekate,

I would suggest you to reinstall the Video card driver on the system to check if the issue with mouse is fixed. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the Video card driver from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/ZaQuel

1 Message

October 23rd, 2013 13:00

My new XPS 27 with DELL KM714 keyboard cannot type question mark .... :-(((((

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

October 24th, 2013 02:00

Hi DRYSCO,

It’s an issue with the keyboard please consider replacing it. Depending on the warranty status we can help you further, please use the link below to check the warranty status.

http://dell.to/YeuzUO

Please punch in the system service tag or express service code. In case your system warranty has expired please contact the Out of Warranty department 1-800-288-4410 (U.S.Customer only). In case your system is under warranty please send me the system service tag or express service code through a private chat, so that I can help you further. 

Click on my username select start a private conversation and send me the details. 

No Events found!