Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2013 11:00

Dell One 23 audio switch between internal and external speakers

I recently purchased a Dell One23 (2330) and it has the MaxxAudio 3 installed. I have an external 2.1 speaker system plugged into the system. Whenever the computer wakes up from sleep the audio changes to internal speakers when I press volume up on keyboard. Im sure this is something to do with MaxxAudio or the keyboard drivers. Anybody have a solution for this?

Thank you so much for your time,
Keith 

1.5K Posts

August 7th, 2013 11:00

Hi Keith,

Please select the external speaker as default audio device and check functionality. Here are the steps:

• Right click on the sound icon in the system tray.
  • Select the option of Playback Devices.
  • Select the external speaker from the list and set them as default device.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

8 Posts

August 7th, 2013 13:00

I have all that setup properly. The external speakers work. But when it resumes from a sleep the audio changes to internal speakers when I press volume buttons on the keyboard. It happens only after resuming from sleep. And only when I use the keyboard volume buttons

1.5K Posts

August 8th, 2013 18:00

Hi Keith,

Thank you for sharing the information. Please share how you get the audio back to external speakers, is it by unplugging and replugging the speaker cable?

Also, please update the audio drivers of the system. Here are the steps:

• Click on the link: http://dell.to/18NmI2D
  • Enter the Service Tag of your system and select the operating system.
  • You will find the audio driver under 'Audio'.
  • Download and install the drivers following the onscreen instructions.

8 Posts

August 11th, 2013 12:00

It did not work even with the latest drivers. Any other suggestions?

What I do to get the audio back to external speakers is by going to the control panel of MAXXAUDIO and clicking on external speakers. Its already selected but I have to click on "external speakers" again and hit "ok". Thats what I have to do.

3.1K Posts

August 12th, 2013 19:00

Hi Keith,

I am replying on behalf of DELL-Saharsh K. To assist you further, we would need more information. Are you using USB speakers or it is plugged into the green color audio port? Please share the model no. of the speaker.

8 Posts

August 13th, 2013 11:00

its plugged into the audio port in the back (near the power cable) Speakers are Altec Lansing BXR1121

1.5K Posts

August 13th, 2013 18:00

Hi Keith,

Thank you for sharing the information. I am researching on this issue and will keep you updated with the results.

1.5K Posts

August 15th, 2013 18:00

Hi Keith,

Thank you for your patience and cooperation. Please uninstall and reinstall the Audio Drivers. Here are the steps that you need to follow:

• Press the key combination Windows Logo key + R key to open Run dialog box.
  • Type in devmgmt.msc and click OK.
  • The Device Manager windows will appear.
  • Under 'Audio Controllers', you will find the audio driver listed.
  • Right click on it and click on 'uninstall'. (Check and make a note of the driver installed on your system and re-install the driver from the below steps accordingly).
  • Check the box to delete the software.
  • Download and install the latest drivers and check functionality.

8 Posts

August 29th, 2013 13:00

I did follow the exacts steps but its not working for me yet. I noticed that when I change the volume using the notification area icon it changes the speakers to internal speakers. This is really frustrating. Please help

1.5K Posts

August 30th, 2013 17:00

Hi Keith,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused. Please try creating a new User Account and check if that makes any difference. You may refer to the link http://dell.to/14f97Nl for instructions on how to create a user account in Windows 8. If the issue still persist, please restore the system back to factory settings and check functionality. Here are the steps:

• Point to the right hand corner of the screen to bring up the charms bar.
  • Click Settings.

• Click the shutdown button, hold down the Shift Key and click Restart from the options provided.

• The system restarts, login and click Troubleshoot.

• Click the Dell Backup and Recovery icon.

• The system restarts and comes back up, click Next on the Dell Backup and Recovery Screen.

• The system would be checked to see if the smart repair option can fix the issue, click Next once this is done.

• You will be prompted to select the backup to be used, click the factory image option or select from one of the backups. Click Next.

• You will be prompted to backup your files, if needed do so by selecting the option Yes, backup my personal files (Make sure to have an external backup hard drive handy.) or select No, Erase my files.

• The system goes ahead and completes the restore of the operating system. Click Restart when prompted.

• Follow the on-screen instructions to setup the system with windows.

Note: This step leads to complete data loss including pictures, music files, videos, documents and applications. Please disconnect any external peripherals as well.

8 Posts

September 1st, 2013 19:00

I am sorry but its still not working. As you know there is two audio out ports on the Dell machine. One on the side and one on the back near the USB ports. I have plugged my speakers to the audio out port on the back. I have even uninstalled all the audio drivers and let windows install drivers by it self. And its still doing that. Whenever the computer wakes up from a sleep it switches to the internal speakers when I change the volume. 

1.5K Posts

September 2nd, 2013 05:00

Hi Keith,

Thank you for sharing the information. Please share if you have tried creating a new user profile and checking audio functionality there or not. If the issue still persist in the new user account, I suggest that you perform PC Restore. I have share the steps for the same in my previous reply.

October 31st, 2013 15:00

Hi also have this problem, the internal speakers come back on after sleep or hibernate and can only be turned off by going into maxxaudio3 and clicking external speakers every time. 

1 Message

February 26th, 2014 15:00

I am also having the same problem - audio resets to internal speakers when the computer wakes from sleep.

1 Message

April 24th, 2014 13:00

I am having the same problem.  Very frustrating.  Seems like it should mean easy thing to change.  Does dell not test its products before production?

No Events found!