Highlighted

Dell Optiplex 390 Power Supply dying

We got a shipment of 20 Optiplex 390 with i5 CPU in August. So far we have hade three power supplies go dead on us.  Anyone else seeing issues with the Optiplex 390?

The field techs replace the power supply and we are back in business, no power indicator light on the back.

0 Kudos
42 Replies
speedstep
Diamond

Re: Dell Optiplex 390 Power Supply dying

Over voltage surge would blow the fuse in the power supply making it dead.

Everyone has seen power supply failures. I know of no model no vendor that says we have

zero power supply failures.  You might want to get a voltage monitor to see whats going on.

Because power supplies have cooling fans its not a matter of IF they fail its a matter of when.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos

I agreee, but when the infant mortality rate is higher, it usually points to a bigger problem. And when they are int eh same serial number string, it usualy menas we will see more of them. The sooner the problem is identified, the sooner the fix.

Such as a batch of units with too low of a setting in the fuze, or some other component that failing.

I have a voltage monitor, so far all within normal ranges.

0 Kudos
bjdraw
Copper

Yes, we've had a number of them fail and Dell has even told us that they weren't in stock. So yeah.

0 Kudos
speedstep
Diamond

My environment has quite a few of them and None have failed so far.

Are we talking about PRECISION or Optiplex Model?  They are 2 different things.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Optiplex. All in one shipment to one client. All sequential serail numbers.

Which makes me suspect a bad batch. None of the replacement power supplies have failed.

0 Kudos
Peaceful
Copper

We received 8 Optiplex 390s, and within a couple of months two power supplies (and/or motherboards) have died - with a pop, and burnt electronics smell.

Our power supply date codes are in this neighborhood:  M1B091703757

0 Kudos
koshia
Bronze

We also have a batch of about 20 Optiplex 390s.  Right after my deployment of the machines, within the same week ... 3 have had symptom of PSU failure.  I am unable to complete the repair on the third one as Dell is back-ordered on the PSUs.

I would assume that these came from the same batch of bad PSUs.

0 Kudos

My client had a similar issue.  The power supply made a loud pop and then they said they smelled burning.  I was supposed to get my power supply today, but I just received a message that I won't have it until next week.  Just what you want to tell a customer about their computer they bought a month ago.

0 Kudos

Now the second machine did the same thing.  There is definitely an issue with this model.

0 Kudos