Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2013 10:00

Dell Optiplex 755 NIC failure

I recently got about 20 Dell Optiplex 755s from another company.  None of the NIC cards work.  I have turned off the MEBx and flashed the bios and nothing.  I still cannot get it to work.  I ensured the router was not using MAC filtering, and the ports and chords are tested working (known good) I am at a loss as to what to do.  All the forums I have checked have many crazy answers (and I've checked them all) I've even tried using Linux to see if it would work in linux, and nothing.  when I run ipconfig, i get a 169.x.x.x ip address.  The unit lights up yellow until I turn on the machine, then it turns orange.  Clearly it is a hardware issue and a setting that I must be missing, or some other strange issue, but I can't figure it out.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

750 Posts

July 28th, 2013 11:00

Hi brannonwj,

Just to confirm – in the BIOS the NIC can be configured as on/off, have you checked it?

Restart the computer and tap F2 key at Dell logo to enter the BIOS. Under “Onboard Devices” highlight “Integrated NIC”. Ensure it is set to “On”.

Also, the chassis front includes an LED for link integrity. Glowing LED indicates that the NIC can detect a connection to the network but it does not detect traffic-just connectivity. This LED is located near the front USB connectors. May I know the status of the LED?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 29th, 2013 10:00

I would find it hard to believe that 20 machines all have bad nic unless they were attached to a switch that failed with high voltage that zapped them all at the same time.  However you could try using USB to 100 meg Ethernet. Make sure you are using CAT6E pre made cables to test.  You could also try forcing the driver to be 10 meg ethernet half duplex to see if the wire is the issue.  Disable the onboard NIC in Bios to Test these.

USB Wifi cards are $10 at wallmart.

The EIDEMAX USB wireless adapter is $10.

Edimax EW-7811Un 150Mbps Wireless 11n Nano Size USB Adapter

They are also versions LESS THAN $10

CNet CQU-906 Wireless-N PicoUSB Dongle

Tenda 150Mbps Wireless Pico USB Adapter

No Events found!